ID:1464685

I am unsure if this is to be posted on developer help, rather than here, but this is about both code (As efficient as possible) and opinion. Please move if I'm wrong here.

Any way, I'm currently in the process of building a jukebox, and I have a bunch of music I wish to add to this. Although a 360p version on 128 Kbps soon turns into 2 MB, which, I'm afraid, has to be downloaded by the entire server.
There's more like this, 5 MB.

At the moment I'm hosting an SS13 server, so download size is already quite gigantic (40-50 MB), and I do not wish to increase this any more, if possible. But this jukebox I will add, either way.

What are your guy's opinions on this, and how could I handle this?
What's an extra 20MB after you download 50MB? I'd say just try to compress the files as much as you can without losing the quality you desire and then roll with it. That's what I would do if I was in your situation.
In response to Oasiscircle
Oasiscircle wrote:
What's an extra 20MB after you download 50MB? I'd say just try to compress the files as much as you can without losing the quality you desire and then roll with it. That's what I would do if I was in your situation.

Because 50MB already takes a good while, and I'm hoping to keep the file size increase as small as I can, mainly so that people can play, rather than wait for their files to download.
In response to Laser50
As long as the server you're hosting on has a decent upload time, 50MB should not take a horrible amount of time. People stream HD youtube videos all the time, there's no reason that same download speed shouldn't be able to download 100MB worth of game in a reasonable amount of time as long as the server has a good upload speed.
In response to Oasiscircle
Oasiscircle wrote:
As long as the server you're hosting on has a decent upload time, 50MB should not take a horrible amount of time. People stream HD youtube videos all the time, there's no reason that same download speed shouldn't be able to download 100MB worth of game in a reasonable amount of time as long as the server has a good upload speed.

That is true.
I did find some way to upload these in a way that shouldn't affect players too much, I've looked into the preload_rsc thing, and apparantly it can be used at any time. But I am unsure how this works, because the example shows a .rar file, but what happens to it? Is it unpacked? Or what?