In response to Multiverse7
@Multiverse: I'm in agreement with much of your sentiment, but little of your substance.

You've seen me pulping dead horses around these forums for some time now regarding the fact that Tom has little incentive given the state of things to actually put much work in until the ROI justifies it.

The trouble is, we're just in a situation right now that could well be justified as a catch-22. We have a community that's largely either unwilling or unable to justify Tom's furthered work, and simultaneously can't attract new developers that would be able or willing.

It's really a rough situation from which there is no definite answer. However, I think it's inarguable that there are a number of directions that in hindsight, five years ago would have been excellent investments of time and resources, that were avoided for the sake of making BYOND more of a social networking experience.

Yeah, I like what we have well enough, and to some degree, it's not my intention to pass blame. It's just gotten to a point where we're in definite trouble, and there's not a lot more I can say other than doing the same things we're currently doing just aren't going to dig us out of the hole we're already over our heads in.

500 was a step in the right direction, and Lummox/Tom's efforts should be rewarded... Unfortunately, given the reality of that donation bar, they just don't seem to be.
I honestly don't think the issue is the games. The issue is probably more an issue of profitable target demographic. Attracting teenagers instead of adults. The problem is that as far as game sites go, this one just doesn't compare with Armor Games, Kongregate, AddictingGames, Pogo, etc. We have games, and we have some good ones. The main selling points of DM (that I find) are that networking is done for you, and all features (except flash executable) are free.
I think it would help to have a professional video made and uploaded to YouTube, explaining all of the software in the BYOND suite, in detail. If that were done, it could easily be embedded anywhere on this site, and social media sites, for potential new players and developers to see. I think this would help because these days, people are much more likely to watch a video, instead of clicking several links and reading the text. The best way to advertise online is to have all of the information right up front, with the easiest possible access, and what better way to do that than with a video? The only thing they have to do is click the play button, and everything they would want to know about BYOND will be streaming right at them.

The question is, who would be willing to make it? You would need someone experienced with DM, with video editing skills and a good clear voice for talking. Actually, I think I already know someone who fits that description, but I doubt that he would be willing to make the video...
Hell if someone could make me a script, id read it and post it everywhere i could get my hands on lol. I have a few years at video editing and could get some good footage and stuffs while getting the point across.
Page: 1 2