ID:1470609

Is it good or bad to use on screen objects in excess, and why?
It's not particularly a bad idea. If you handle it properly it's not like screen objects do anything noticeable or significant to the game.

Just make sure you're only updating the objects you need to update, and removing them properly when they're no longer needed, and you wont have any problems.
In response to The Magic Man
Was thinking of making the entire game window a map and using on screen objects and separate maps for my interface. Probably gonna be dealing with around 10 to 50 on screen objects at any time. Would that effect the server in anyway with 25 to 50 players.
That is at max 2500 objects. If they're purely visual, to my knowledge that shouldn't be anything significant.

I did a quick test, 6000 objects on a single screen. Game ran exactly the same as having 0 on screen. On my computer, I noticed minor FPS drops at 9000 objects on screen, but that was on one computer, it might work different if those 9000 objects are spread among 25-50 players.

Although I have no idea how this would effect network usage. If you're not frequently updating the clients screen however I doubt it'd be anything significant.
In response to The Magic Man
I think my best bet would be try it on small scale and work my way up as needed. Around half of those objects are gonna have procs attached to them.
Just having a proc attached to an object doesn't do anything unless the proc is being executed.

If you have 2500 objects looping a proc every second (or less), then you might have issues. If it's 2500 objects that do something when you click on them? That's much less of an issue.
It should be noted too, that as long as things are always in the same screen position across all clients, you can use a global object to represent it.

The same object can be put in multiple peoples' screens no problem, provided you have a relatively static interface, or it's anchored to a fixed point.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
It should be noted too, that as long as things are always in the same screen position across all clients, you can use a global object to represent it.

The same object can be put in multiple peoples' screens no problem, provided you have a relatively static interface, or it's anchored to a fixed point.

+1. This doesn't get said enough.
My current project is nothing but two output windows and a map with everything else handled by HUDs. No lag that I've noticed.
But are you sharing the HUDs?