ID:1472850

staff to making a naruto and I wonder if you guys would like jutsu Simple system or running Clicking letters and seals for the jutsu
Be creative and do something that nobody else has done before, you won't stand out in the mass of Naruto games with ideas that have already been done. You want to do something that will make your game special and rememberable.
In response to Mask of Illusion
Mask of Illusion wrote:
Be creative and do something that nobody else has done before, [...] Naruto games [...] have already been done. You want to do something [...] special and [memorable].

Lol NNG rip.

I understand but it's hard because there's no other method in naruto , and yes based in NNG
There are plenty of methods of doing things. You could create a combo system such as if you wanted to use a "higher level" jutsu it would mean that you have to chain together attacks.
Stop thinking about BYOND games and start thinking about the intellectual property, think of new and interesting ways you could incorporate it.
Also you can "parody" something to make it your own, or use it as inspiriation. However change it into your own thing. Such as instead of hand seals they could just "speak" the symboles, invoke seal runes, jump three times and bam a jutsu happens. Your still using the idea of a jutsu just in your own way.
Technically speaking, you might run into trouble even using the term "Jutsu". Yes, it's Japanese and appears as a modifier to words, but it's by definition a bound morpheme, which means that it cannot be used as a word alone.

The only place that the word "Jutsu" appears alone, from what I've seen is in the Naruto mythos. Otherwise, the word cannot be used alone, and you might run into some... Negative issues using it.
In response to Ter13
Jutsu is just a Japanese word. It literally translates into "skill" or "art".
Only the names of the skills are copyeighted. You can only copyright the final object not the steps needed to make it. Such as hand seals are actually a ninjas form of meditation from my understanding.
In response to Akando5959
Jesus Christ... What the hell are they teaching kids today?

You can copyright a lot of things. You cannot copyright...

Ideas
Concepts
Names

I believe a skill would come under concept and name.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
Jutsu is just a Japanese word. It literally translates into "skill" or "art".

It's not a word. It's a morpheme, meaning it was never intended to stand alone.

It'd be like using "ing" to mean "ongoing". It doesn't make sense without colloquial context to determine the use. Again, it's more about whether the idea of Jutsu are considered by a court to be a unique property or theme of a particular IP. Copyright law isn't supposed to apply in the case of concepts, and it's supposed to be pretty clear-cut, but in cases where particulars start to overlap, you can start running into grey-areas when it comes to "striking similarities".

Usually, no, they won't uphold it, but considering the entire concept of Jutsu is like, the majority of Naruto's canon, it might be arguable that you lifted significant portions of their setting, including a concept significant to their IP, beyond that of just a word. Thereby, you'll be under closer scrutiny, so you have zero room for slip-up.

Especially considering you can't point to a single other place that used the word "Jutsu" to mean a technique as a standalone word.

EDIT: I'm not attempting to state that it's clear violation of copyright law. It isn't, because concepts can't be copyrighted. However, you have to consider that it most definitely is plagiarism (which is completely legal), and companies have little to no obligation to actually verify whether something is legal or not before sending a takedown notice. (During the DBZ C&D, FUNi actually sent a takedown notice for Draggin'Ballz, which was a parody of the dragonball fad.)

ISPs these days seize domains without due process, so yeah, there's a significant risk to tapping the beehive, especially with such proximity to the amount of beehive tapping we have going on around here.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
http://nabarinoou.wikia.com/wiki/Shinra_Banshou

Among many other anime that use the term 'jutsu'. :)
Is derivative.

Point is, ninjas using dark magic is nothing new. No reason to call it a Jutsu and straight lift thematic elements from the series.
In response to Ter13
But you're kind of wrong.

Jutsu is a japanese word. 術 is the Japanese word. It means skill or art. (Technically in most cases it's used as a morpheme, but it can be used as a solo word meaning skill)

In Dragonball Z, the Japanese don't call it flying, they call it buku jutsu, which translates into sky dancing technique (or flying air technique, depending on how you want to translate it).

Hell, in real life it's used in Japan. Ever heard of Jujutsu? How about Iaijutsu? It can even be used for non fighting related terms, like Chojutsu (writing skill), ijutsu (medical skill) and so on.
The Japanese even call a museum a bijutsukan, bi = beauty, jutsu = art/skill, kan = to look. Literal translation is "to look at beautiful skills/art".

Saying Jutsu is copyrighted to Naruto (ignoring the fact that you cannot copyright names) is like saying "man" is copyrighted to Pacman.

Also, if you want to see "jutsu" used as a single word. Saimin no Jutsu. It means hypnotism technique.

Also, sending out cease and desists for things like words (which can't be copyrighted) is actually against the law. The laws themselves are generally poorly defined however, but one of these laws states "additionally punishes using the safe harbor provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to remove material the issuer knows is not infringing", you can be punished for doing this. Which is what claiming copyright on the word jutsu would most likely fall under.
You are both correct, sort of.

A morpheme can also be two distinct categories: free morphemes and bound morphemes. Jutsu would be categorized as a free morpheme because it can be used independently(e.g., what's the name of that jutsu?) and with other lexemes(e.g., I'm skilled at jujutsu!)
Except jutsu is defined by Japanese linguists as a bound morpheme, Magnum. Look it up.

I'm a former Korean linguist. I know stuff about asian languages.

"additionally punishes using the safe harbor provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to remove material the issuer knows is not infringing", you can be punished for doing this. Which is what claiming copyright on the word jutsu would most likely fall under."

Japan is one of the many countries where rampant abuse of Copyright law occurs without the business being punished in any way whatsoever. See the case of Japanese gaming companies suing journalists for merely having the audacity to write about their games. If you are small enough, you can't fight it.

Point is, best to avoid plagiarism. I'm not saying legal trouble is definitely headed your way, but I just don't see the point to making exactly the same thing as an existing IP down to the core concepts.

Also, if you want to see "jutsu" used as a single word. Saimin no Jutsu. It means hypnotism technique.

Yet this is a Naruto fanfic, isn't it? Kind of a moot point when you consider the derivative influence.

Also, sending out cease and desists for things like words (which can't be copyrighted) is actually against the law.

You are putting words in my mouth here.

Hell, in real life it's used in Japan. Ever heard of Jujutsu? How about Iaijutsu? It can even be used for non fighting related terms, like Chojutsu (writing skill), ijutsu (medical skill) and so on.

Those are all bound morphemes.
In response to Ter13
Saimin no Jutsu isn't actually directly related to Naruto. It's a technique used in the original Dragonball, and various other anime/manga series from the 1980s. It's also a term you might just use in everyday life in Japan, not common mind you, but something you could use.

Also, unless you are in Japan, it's not a Japanese company that's going to be trying to send you cease and desist notices. It'll be an American/European branch of the company.

But end of the day, you could ignore a cease and desist for things like the word jutsu because that is clearly someone trying to violate the law and bully people. If they tried to follow up on a cease and desist like this they'd be the ones in legal trouble, not you.
Page: 1 2