Harmony Online

by Lavitiz
A fantasy sandbox RPG with a focus on non-linear character progression, intense open-world PvP, and plenty of quests to keep you yearning for more. Are you ready for your action-packed adventure?
ID:1473042

The website for Harmony Online has been a work in progress for quite some time now. For those of you that do not know, the website is crucial to account creation and management.

Recently, I've changed how security works on the back-end. This means that ANYONE that had an account prior to these updates will need to reset their passwords, as their hash in the database is no longer valid. You may change your password here.

Keep in mind that the password reset link is only valid for an hour. Please report any and all bugs on the forums, thanks.
What are you using for game to website communications?
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
What are you using for game to website communications?

Accounts, subscriptions(maybe), bans, logs, character management, and an auction house are all planned.

This is a big extra step for me, as I've learned how to uses web-dev/programming languages outside DM very recently. I've had maybe 6 months experience with it tops, so it's also a learning experience.

The goal here is to have a project that does NOT rely on BYOND's systems at all, with the exception of the program itself. This way the project can fully expand past BYOND if I ever needed to.

Harmony Online will probably by my last big project as I'll be moving onto other Dev Engines to expand my knowledge.

EDIT: Also, I wasn't 100% sure of what you were asking. If you actually were trying to figure out how the website and game will communicate with each other- I use PHP, MySQL, Dantom.DB, and a PHP Script that allows me to create a socket connection with the server and send data through world.Topic().
Do you have a way to $_POST data to PHP from BYOND?
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Do you have a way to $_POST data to PHP from BYOND?

Erm, if you had PHP installed on your system can't you call PHP functions in DM? I'm not sure what you're asking for specifically. Give me an example of what you're trying to accomplish. You can also page me.

EDIT: Like output a php script to a hidden DM browser pane.
proc/Save()
var/savefile/F
//save stuff
var/saveText=save2text(F)
//POST saveText to www.website.com/Save.php
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
> proc/Save()
> var/savefile/F
> //save stuff
> var/saveText=save2text(F)
> //POST saveText to www.website.com/Save.php
>

I did a quick Google and saw that you have to use the curl extension. The host machine is gonna need PHP with that enabled, I think. Then browse it in DM. This is just in theory, I have no idea if it'll work.
Problem is you can't pull up a browse() on the server itself, you have to send it to a player, and then it relies on that player having everything functional on their system, and seems like it would be a possible security risk, and may have potential delay on it that wouldn't guarantee saving at logout.

Can send a GET to PHP directly from the server using world.Export(), but that has a small character limit which won't allow for entire save data to be transferred. The method itself seems to work perfectly for what I wanted, but that character limit makes it worthless.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Problem is you can't pull up a browse() on the server itself, you have to send it to a player, and then it relies on that player having everything functional on their system and seems like it would be a possible security risk.

Can send a GET to PHP directly from the server using world.export, but that has a small character limit that won't allow for entire save data to be transferred...

Hmm, I'm not sure then. You might have to come up with a GET work-around or use SQL tables for saves. Once again, I'm not quite sure what you're aiming for. Just remember to have some sort of source authentication if you need the GETs to be secured from exploit.