ID:1482872

Hello,
Unfortunately I had to revert to a 32bit Ubuntu install to get MySql to work with Byond..

Has anyone come up with a work around that works to get the 64bit OS running without throwing the :

libmysqlclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried several of the work around's on here including downloading the 32 bit versions and placing them in the (/usr/lib) folder (/ust/lib32) and the server would just throw another error about the mysql.sock (in a folder where it did not exsit)

If anyone has gotten around this could you post exactly how you did it?

Thanks!
Not sure about 64bit, but this might help..

apt-get install libmysqlclient-dev
sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient-dev:i386

You'll want the i386 suffix applied to the package. Clean up whatever workaround / manual copying you did before running that, otherwise you're going to hit package/local file collisions and APT will not be happy.

I should think you can run the i386 library with the amd64 server, provided you don't use the mysql socket file. This is the setup we run on CentOS 6.5.
Ahh yea forgot that! Cheers Stephen!
a bit late to respond. I had this exact problem a while ago when upgrading to 64-bit Ubuntu. I jotted down some notes, so for anyone else who runs into this issue, you can trick 64-bit mysql into working with byond:

1: when preparing the 32-bit libraries, include libstdc++6
sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0 libstdc++6:i386

sudo apt-get install mysql-client
+ optional: mysql-server

2: Since I've done this a few times now, my notes simply say to copy /usr/local/i386-linux-gnu/libmysqlclient* from an existing setup. If you don't have an existing setup, you might have to generate the 32-bit files (*:i386), copy them from /usr/local or /usr/local/i386-linux-gnu, uninstall mysql-client & dependencies, start over with 64-bit, then paste the files back into /usr/local/i386-linux-gnu. If you can't get it to work, ask me and I'll send you my .so files.

3: make a symlink from libmysqlclient.so in /usr/lib to the version in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
cd /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
sudo ln -s libmysqlclient.so.[number] ../libmysqlclient.so

a bit of a hassle but I really wanted to use 64-bit mysql, which worked flawlessly for months up until a recent beta bug possibly having to do with BYOND threading. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.