ID:1482945

By quality, I mean something like Eternia: http://www.byond.com/games/hubpic/97077_13894.png

So if I needed a base human male and female icon of roughly that quality, with about 5 hair icons to go with it, and 5 clothes (the main things like pants and shirt etc), and these animations: walk, idle, rest, fly, KO, knockback, dodge, charge energy, 1 handed overhead charge energy, 2 handed overhead charge energy, and 3 different martial arts themed punch states, and 3 different martial arts themed kick states.

I just don't want to overpay. Can anyone give me a price target to aim for? My game makes about 400$ a month
Many artists usually are paid by-the-hour, and you can't go wrong if you talk to several (Try pixeljoint) and get quotes from them on their pricing for your request.
For a high quality base like that with all the extra clothes, etc, that you requested; you'd probably be looking around ~60$. Maybe 80$+ depending on the size and detail of base, like making all 8 directions instead of just the cardinal directions.

My other advice that i'd add on to Albro1's is that if you're worried about the cost try taking out the items and extra bits. Just have the artist do the base itself and some standard animations with it that you want. Which would probably be around ~40$ then find an artist who's maybe not as good to make the clothes and extra animations. 'Cos those really aren't hard to do at all. Actually you could probably do that bit yourself!

Also before the artist starts making the entire project for you, make sure you check it out to see if you like it. It'd blow to have to pay a guy for a base you really don't like. Good luck man!
i personally charge by the frame while attempting to limit myself to 4frames per animation aslong as i can make it smooth.

32x32 = 0.50 a frame

48x48 = 1.00 a frame

64x64 = 1.50-2.00 a frame

96x96 = 2.50 a frame

anything bigger than 96x96 is 3.50-4.50 a frame
In response to Southend_boi
Southend_boi wrote:
i personally charge by the frame while attempting to limit myself to 4frames per animation aslong as i can make it smooth.

32x32 = 0.50 a frame

48x48 = 1.00 a frame

64x64 = 1.50-2.00 a frame

96x96 = 2.50 a frame

anything bigger than 96x96 is 3.50-4.50 a frame

Wow, well my current base icon has 176 frames spread across all icon states. If I needed a 64x64 with all those same frames I would be paying 264$ just for the human male icon alone.

Then I need at least 22 other icons for the different species people can play. 5 hairs to start. At least 5 clothes.

That's 8448$. This thread shows me it probably isn't worth investigating any further. I don't know where a game like Eternia gets their icons but if they paid that much wow.
In response to Tens of DU
If memory serves correctly, he had a couple thousand dollars budgeted for a project he had to make for a class, and he used that money to get what he needed. He probably raised more money too.
Eternia's human sprite was around $100 iirc, at the rate of $20/hr or roughly $2 a tile. It's about 50 frames, consisting of: walk, run, dodge, block, stab, sword swing, charge cast, cast forward, omni cast, light punch, heavy punch, light kick, heavy kick, dash, and death.

If you want twenty two sprites with that many unique frames, at 64x64, then yeah, it's gonna be costly. Do you really need that many races, though? Assuming each sprite is unique, you're going to require new gear for every single base. And I think you'll regret limiting yourself to 5 clothing items, because you'll probably realize the importance of content later down the road.
Well ofcourse your game makes $400 a month its a amazing game i <3 DU.

BTW WANO who pixeled your icons it looks like it was a pretty good price.
Lol, im not even sure why you're asking here x_x We're not that good. :P ,but like what Albro says since he's very knowledgeable? is that how you spell it? try Pixeljoint. Personally though i charge 20$-40$ for a base with 6 ani on walk,punching, kicking, and running, but that's all i do for that much.I usually charge separate for hair or other additional thingys.
Viviv msg me I need some iso stuff.