ID:1485412

I recently bought a tablet and I was never able to draw like this before. It's for my dothack game on byond. Fan it! if interested! I will be redoing some of the mapping/turf icons in the game!

http://www.byond.com/games/Kaien007/DotHackOverload

dothack please give credit if used. photo DothackTurf_zpsf499f864.png

the center piece for the bottom rotates!
I don't think this counts as pixel art, but the artwork is nice. Are these for the same place? If they are why do they have different view points?
In response to Akto
I used the same concepts as pixel art. It only looks different from most because of the textures and many other tools i used aside from the tools you would use in paint or byond dream maker. I sorta get what you mean by the view points. can you go a little further on your explanation. So i can try to fix these.
In response to Kaien007
Kaien007 wrote:
I used the same concepts as pixel art.

Not really. Pixel art is usually reserved for art where the artist places each pixel for effect. The artist typically does not use filters, textured shaders, or more than a few dozen color variations in the entire piece.

Once you start getting into the territory of >256x256 in dimension, you usually have to start calling it raster art, rather than pixel art. Pixel art is raster art, but not all raster art is pixel art.

Pixel art is really heavily defined by the art of using a very limited palette, low resolution, and hand-crafted artwork where one or two pixels completely changes the mood/effect of the piece.
In response to Ter13
I see, thanks for the clarification!
Let's look at the two top images. Their view points are a direct view, imagine you were standing facing these objects on a wall. The objects would appear flat. The fact we know that these are windows and a wall we know its not a top-down view point, but more of a side view.

Now let's look at the bottom one, the bricks on the object make the mind think it is a flat object. I know that the bottom image is most likely a Gate from .hack, so I know that gold piece is above the blue stone and not laying on it. The slight offset of the golden piece now turns this object into a 3/4ths view point.(If you don't know, basically its where your view is a little to the side of a top-down perspective)So, this object has an appearance of two view points, a top-down or direct view of the blue stone and a 3/4ths view point of the golden piece.
In response to Akto
Now that i see it xD your right!
You didn't hand draw these at all, but it does look like you applied random shading by hand. They're too linear to be drawn by hand, and I doubt your penmanship can draw a perfect circle right off the bat.

Little do you know that shading could have already been accomplished rather easily without your tablet using Photoshop's features, and you're not utilizing the tablet's to its full potential.
In response to KingDeity
I used Line work using sai. its baiscally drawing a line and then adjusting the curve. Your not really helping when you just use the words random shading when you haven't mentioned what you were refering to and what parts were "randomly shaded". I only assumed you thought of the bottom one because you you mentioned circles.
In response to Akto
hey since all three images go together in the same place. mind helping me how i can fix this. You seem to be the only person to give me advice. rather than just bashing it when they can do this themselves.
In response to Kaien007
If you're just drawing a line and then adjusting a curve, then you're just using your tablet as a mouse for clicking are you not? Yes, the last uses a perfect circle, several lines for its brick, and my guess would be burn/dodge tablet shading?
In response to KingDeity
1) quote was not directed towards you (unless thats your alt account)
2) Yes I do see your point maybe next time I will choose words like "draw" carefully when it comes to making perfect circles. Also I did use dodge and burn but the shades of color were my choice.

3) cant deny its my creation based on an object from a anime/game
In response to KingDeity
Also whether or not on the subject of drawing. It is technically a drawing since it uses the same logic as regular drawing.

THink about it. It's not drawing because I used tools such as dodge and burn. But you can do that with regular paper. (look at wild western wanted signs). A pencil is a tool. yet when its used with other tools its not considered you drawing the line. So when i think about that then in my view it is a drawing. Maybe not in yours and thats perfectly fine.
Okay, this is getting out of control. We have already concluded that it is not traditional pixel art. Done. Whether or not he actually drew this with a pen or pencil or scanned or didn't, doesn't matter. He is asking for help and advice.

The circle should become slightly more oval and the bricks should appear more squished together the farther back they go. This shouldn't be huge changes because the angle of view is only slightly different.

EDIT: This also depends on how your other tiles look, for example if your tiles in the game are flat repeating tiles, I would suggest leaving it how it is.
In response to Akto
thanks never thought i would be bum rushed by one person xD.

ok ill get to fixing it xD. thankfully the bottom portion is in a different layer.
In response to Akto
can the use of shadows help? the window is a light source
Not exactly sure what you are asking.
In response to Akto
if i add shadows to the rings to give it more of a pop out effect

I meant more along the lines of something like this. This is merely me using the skew tool in GIMP. Adding shadows would add more depth.
In response to Akto
wouldnt i have to resize the player icon as well? If it were traveling north then it would be smaller?
Page: 1 2