ID:1487289

(See the best response by Koshigia.)
Problem description:

I want to test my game using dream daemon with my other computer but it doesn't let my other computer connect. I'm assuming that this is because it uses my public IP address and I was wondering of their was a way to make dream daemon host my game on my local IP or if their was a way to connect a computer on your network to your public IP.
Best response
Anytime users are able to connect to your world through your public IP address, you should also be able to connect to it from your own network with using the private IP address. Your router is what handles the translation from public IP address to private IP address. If you are able to connect to your world using the hosting machines private IP address (ie: 192.168.0.2 with whatever port the game is being hosted on), but you cannot connect to it using the public IP address, then you probably need to open that port on your firewall and have it forward to the machine that is hosting the game.
In response to Koshigia
how do you connect to servers hosted by dream daemon. do you need to type in a web adress or is their a simpler way.
In response to Neatht
When you start hosting, Dream Daemon will show a link to join under the text area. Click it to copy it and you can paste it.

It's simpler than games that make you look for your IP address, and if the game is connected to the hub and hosted publicly, the hub will list it automatically.
In response to Kaiochao
Irrelevant to the problem but I didn't know you could click that to copy it. This knowledge should be spread! There are too many times I've typed those IPs out.
In response to Kitsueki
Connecting to local IP : 0.0.0:port. localhost:port or yourip:port
Is that a question?
Its not question just telling u what to put to connect in Local.
If you want to connect to a server you're hosting on your LAN, and you don't want to go through your router's WAN firewall, then you just have to enter the server's local IP when connecting.

First, on the machine that you're hosting from, open a cmd window and type "ipconfig". You should see a parameter named "IPv4 Address" under your ethernet adapter. This should be your machine's IP within your LAN, typically it'll look like "192.168.x.x".

Now, on the other computer that you want to join your server, open the BYOND pager, go to the gear in the top-right, select "Open Location" and enter the hosting machine's local IP you just got, plus a colon followed by the port you're hosting on. For example "192.168.1.20:6784" (if the host machine's local IP was 192.168.1.20 and it was hosting on port 6784).
One last note. While 192.168.x.x is the most probable address range you will encounter, more specifically it will usually be 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x if you are using an out-of-the-box router for your network.

However, there are some devices that use the other private network ranges, so it may be a good idea to know they exist. They are 10.x.x.x and 172.16-31.x.x. (The second number could be between 16 and 31.)