ID:1490121

Recently, I got the idea that playing Space Station 13 on a tablet could actually work somewhat well, considering how much of it's interface is mouse based, but I haven't had much luck in doing so.

I wrote about this more in a post on the SS13 subreddit, quoted here:

buggy1997123 wrote:
So, I recently got the idea that ss13 would be great on a tablet. The interface is largely mouse based, assuming you don't use shortcuts, and it would work relatively well on a touchscreen interface. If you add 4 arrow buttons for movement, you could do nearly anything someone with a PC could. And processing power is most likely not a issue, I've heard reports of people comfortably running SS13 on a PC with a 300~mhz processor and less than 100mb ram.

This isn't the first time anyone has asked either, but this a Android/iOS version of Byond still doesn't exist despite this. So, I thought about using a emulator to run Byond in, but because of the computational difficulty of emulating, the fact most PCs are vastly more powerful than tablets, and the incompatible processor architecture, I found nothing.

My next idea was to make Byond work on a tablet. If I could recompile the Linux version of Byond for ARM ISA(Instruction Set Architecture), I could probably get it to work on a rooted Kindle Fire. This is because Kindle tablets use a modified version of Android, and Android is essentially Linux with a graphical interface. The only, or at least first problem I face is that as far as I'm aware, Byond is not open source, and I have minimal coding experience.

If I could get SS13 working on a tablet, would anyone be interested? Keep in mind+ the touchscreen interface would make some tasks harder, and some easier. Chatting and moving would probably be harder, and you wouldn't have shortcuts, but it imagine it would be much easier to attack someone by tapping them than trying to click them with a mouse. Really all sorts of clicking actions would be easier, and keyboard options harder.

I'd like to hear your opinions.

As I said in that post, this isn't the first time this has come up, but most of the arguments are on the difficulty of monetizing Byond or Byond games if it is put on a mobile market. But I'm primarily concerned about being able to play Byond games, SS13 specificly, on a tablet.

As I said in the post, I've had no luck at accomplishing this, and since found out that the Linux version apparently lacks a client. As a reddit User pointed out, this probably points towards Windows dependencies. So, it seems I'm rather out of luck unless I somehow manage to run Wine on a Android tablet. The html5 client I saw that someone made looked promising, but it was either never released or finished and I don't think it'd really be fair of me to use a unofficial client when Byond is already barely making money.

I think I've just about hit a dead end, but I figured I should post here and think about what you guys think about this.
You're not gonna have much luck running it on anything but a Windows-based tablet. And not Windows RT, actual Windows 8. Wine on Android is probably far from up to the task, and iOS is out of the question entirely.

Android used to be able to run Flash, so that's the best route when the BYOND flash client comes out, but for the time being you're pretty much out of luck.