ID:149310

right, some1 told me it is possible to get a program that lets byond work with telenet and zmud stlye clients, but i have no idea how to go about doing, can someone enlighten me??
Veldrin wrote:
right, some1 told me it is possible to get a program that lets byond work with telenet and zmud stlye clients, but i have no idea how to go about doing, can someone enlighten me??

There is no program involved -- BYOND is already capable of hosting things for MUD clients, but not a whole lot of support is really there. The functionality is still in extreme alpha; many MUD clients don't work, and some of the ones that do look *ugly*.

You have to manually parse all of the input yourself -- it's not exactly something that you'd want to undertake until you're good and ready. =)

All you have to do, though, is just connect to the IP that you're hosting on, and the port, through your MUD client. That's how you be a player -- just like any normal MUD client.

How you design it is really of a nasty level -- any input that the player enters in telnet mode gets run through client/Command(text).

For example, say I decided to run along and make a MUD. Someone connects to it and types:

"look at the grey dog"

I will have to manually break that string up, find the command (look) and the command argument (grey dog), and then run a proc from that.

It's messy and difficult. =)
In response to Spuzzum
heh, okay, thanks
for that, i'll have a go at it