ID:149315

I need to contruct a newbie area for guiding new players along in understanding how the game works.

This newbie area must be enclosed from the rest of the game, and there can only be one newbie in it at a time, to prevent disasters.

Scenario #1
-------------
One newbie joins the game and takes the 'newbie eq' from the ground and moves on. Another newbie joins, and he has no eq. :(

Scenario #2
-------------
That first newbie is busy completing a quest, when the second newbie has to complete the same one. NPC interactions get confused, etc.

How can I solve this problem?

- Malver
Malver wrote:
I need to contruct a newbie area for guiding new players along in understanding how the game works.

This newbie area must be enclosed from the rest of the game, and there can only be one newbie in it at a time, to prevent disasters.

Scenario #1
-------------
One newbie joins the game and takes the 'newbie eq' from the ground and moves on. Another newbie joins, and he has no eq. :(

When a newbie joins, load the equipment into their contents.
Scenario #2
-------------
That first newbie is busy completing a quest, when the second newbie has to complete the same one. NPC interactions get confused, etc.

Work out a better way to do NPC interaction :)

How can I solve this problem?

- Malver
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:

It would be a 'tad' more helpful if you could help me solve my problem, instead of stating what can already be construed as obvious. Thanks.

- Malver
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
Alathon wrote:

It would be a 'tad' more helpful if you could help me solve my problem, instead of stating what can already be construed as obvious. Thanks.

- Malver

If you want, we could get together and have a chat IM-based if you wish and I could solve this for you and comment things for your understanding :)

--Lee
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:

- Malver

That question is so broad, and depends so much on exactly what you want that I cannot possibly answer it. Please elaborate

Alathon
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:

That question is so broad, and depends so much on exactly what you want that I cannot possibly answer it. Please elaborate

Alathon

How is my question broad? I want a way so that when a new player starts off in a designated newbie zone, they won't be interrupted by other newbies joining.

If you don't understand that, then you aren't in any condition to be attempting to help anyone on any of these boards.

- Malver
In response to Mellifluous
Mellifluous wrote:
If you want, we could get together and have a chat IM-based if you wish and I could solve this for you and comment things for your understanding :)

--Lee

Sure, why not? I'm on right now, if you see this.

- Malver
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
How is my question broad? I want a way so that when a new player starts off in a designated newbie zone, they won't be interrupted by other newbies joining.

If you don't understand that, then you aren't in any condition to be attempting to help anyone on any of these boards.

- Malver

[Edited out what I previously said] No reason to continue this discussion.

Alathon
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:

Your question was about interaction with NPC's.

Wrong.

One of my possible scenarios involved that being as one of the things that can go wrong if multiple newbies were occupying the same room.

You aren't helping, so please stop posting on this thread.

Thankyou.

- Malver
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
Wrong.

One of my possible scenarios involved that being as one of the things that can go wrong if multiple newbies were occupying the same room.

You aren't helping, so please stop posting on this thread.

Thankyou.

- Malver

You provided scenario's, as if they were meant to be answered seperately. If all you wanted was information on how to split up and create rooms, then why did you provide the scenarios? Oh well.

As you wish, O brilliant one. I was going to go back and look, and post a link to the threads discussing this kind of thing. Your kind manner has persuaded me not to, however.

Alathon
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
Alathon wrote:

Alathon's statement that your question is too broad is pretty accurate. The problem is, you're not telling us how you're handling NPCs now that's making them screwed up. Hence his comment that you need to provide more detail.

It sounds to me, based on what you've said, that you didn't put enough thought into how your NPCs were supposed to work, so that they work for one player but their interactions aren't based around the premise that any player can join at any time. For example, say there's an NPC who will give you a sword, but will only do this once: The var you use to keep track of whether you've done this yet or not shouldn't be a single var, but a list of the players (key and character name) who've already been by.

Lummox JR
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
You provided scenario's, as if they were meant to be answered seperately. If all you wanted was information on how to split up and create rooms, then why did you provide the scenarios? Oh well.

I provided the scenarios to avoid the typical "Why don't you try to show us what you are trying to do?" or the "Give me more information so I can help you" lines. Obviously no matter what I do I get attacked by someone.

As you wish, O brilliant one.

Thankyou. :)

I was going to go back and look, and post a link to the threads discussing this kind of thing. Your kind manner has persuaded me not to, however.

No you weren't. People have a tendancy to say they WOULD have done many things that they wouldn't do, simply because they have already decided that they aren't going to do them.

Alathon

Oh, and thanks for all of your help. I feel more skilled at argueing with people now. :P

- Malver
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Alathon's statement that your question is too broad is pretty accurate. The problem is, you're not telling us how you're handling NPCs now that's making them screwed up. Hence his comment that you need to provide more detail.

It sounds to me, based on what you've said, that you didn't put enough thought into how your NPCs were supposed to work, so that they work for one player but their interactions aren't based around the premise that any player can join at any time. For example, say there's an NPC who will give you a sword, but will only do this once: The var you use to keep track of whether you've done this yet or not shouldn't be a single var, but a list of the players (key and character name) who've already been by.

Lummox JR

Okay, let's all just try to forget my now seemingly 'misinterpreted' scenarios. Nevermind the so-called 'NPC confusion'.

Please try to forgive my wrongness and vagueness, and forget this thread ever existed. I'll get it working on my own.

- Malver
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
No you weren't. People have a tendancy to say they WOULD have done many things that they wouldn't do, simply because they have already decided that they aren't going to do them.
- Malver

Take a look at the post I made before this, at which I stated that this exact issue has already been discussed in dozens of previous threads(not my exact words, but something to that extent).

If I didn't want to help you, then I would not have posted that. In any case, I feel I've given you enough clues as to where to look, and there's no reason to discuss this further on either side.

Alathon
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:

Take a look at the post I made before this, at which I stated that this exact issue has already been discussed in dozens of previous threads(not my exact words, but something to that extent).

If I didn't want to help you, then I would not have posted that. In any case, I feel I've given you enough clues as to where to look, and there's no reason to discuss this further on either side.

Alathon

I thought we already closed this discussion?

The other topics on this board relating to the random-encounter battle systems can't relate to my game. I'm going to go into detail as to why, so don't bother asking.

I said I'll do it myself, so please just stop posting here and let it go for God sake. :P

- Malver
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
Okay, let's all just try to forget my now seemingly 'misinterpreted' scenarios. Nevermind the so-called 'NPC confusion'.

But nobody was misinterpreting anything; it was poor presentation that was to blame for any confusion.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
But nobody was misinterpreting anything; it was poor presentation that was to blame for any confusion.

Lummox JR

What I consider 'misinterpretation', you may consider 'poor presentation'. Quite frankly, I feel that this thread is over, and there is no need to continue posting on it.

- Malver
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
What I consider 'misinterpretation', you may consider 'poor presentation'.

Several reasonably intelligent people told you that they couldn't figure out what you meant precisely, and you were asked several times for details which you never provided. You talked about screwing up NPC interaction but never explained what you meant by that. Thus it's poor presentation.

Misinterpretation would be if you actually provided a little bit of detail, though maybe not complete details, and in spite of making a reasonable effort at explaining yourself, a few people thought you meant something else. But nobody really knew what you were getting at, and you never made a reasonable effort to explain.

You're right that this thread is basically dead, but please don't use this "I see it this way, you see it that way" excuse in the future. It doesn't apply to this situation. In the future, you'll need to try harder to be clear about what you're saying, or this same situation will repeat itself.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Several reasonably intelligent people told you that they couldn't figure out what you meant precisely, and you were asked several times for details which you never provided. You talked about screwing up NPC interaction but never explained what you meant by that. Thus it's poor presentation.

I briefly spoke of NPC interaction problems if the system was not to be implemented. I stated on my second sentence of my original post:

"This newbie area must be enclosed from the rest of the game, and there can only be one newbie in it at a time, to prevent disasters."

The scenarios provided were merely showing what could happen if I did not have this system, which I did not at that time.

Misinterpretation would be if you actually provided a little bit of detail, though maybe not complete details, and in spite of making a reasonable effort at explaining yourself, a few people thought you meant something else.

But I obviously did provide not enough detail, and everyone thought I meant something else. Everyone was looking at scenario #2 for some reason, as opposed to the first 2 sentences.

But nobody really knew what you were getting at, and you never made a reasonable effort to explain.

Well, I did now. Sorry for taking several days.

You're right that this thread is basically dead, but please don't use this "I see it this way, you see it that way" excuse in the future.

Its not an excuse, its my opinion. If I feel that that is how things are, then I have a right to express that opinion.

It doesn't apply to this situation. In the future, you'll need to try harder to be clear about what you're saying, or this same situation will repeat itself.

After this discussion, I will be sure to.

I'm not out here to make enemies, so I will apologize again for the 'misinterpretation'.

- Malver
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
I briefly spoke of NPC interaction problems if the system was not to be implemented. I stated on my second sentence of my original post:

"This newbie area must be enclosed from the rest of the game, and there can only be one newbie in it at a time, to prevent disasters."

The scenarios provided were merely showing what could happen if I did not have this system, which I did not at that time.

But this is where the ambiguity begins: Those kinds of problems can only happen if you don't design adequately for multiple players. The kinds of problems you described would only come up in the case of bad design; otherwise, the only reason to keep newbies separate would be if you thought interaction between players wouldn't be desirable.

Misinterpretation would be if you actually provided a little bit of detail, though maybe not complete details, and in spite of making a reasonable effort at explaining yourself, a few people thought you meant something else.

But I obviously did provide not enough detail, and everyone thought I meant something else. Everyone was looking at scenario #2 for some reason, as opposed to the first 2 sentences.

True, everyone was focused on that part. But because that was the most puzzling part of what you said, people naturally wanted to know better than you meant.

Lummox JR
Page: 1 2