ID:1494956

Resolved
Worlds did not always properly register with the BYOND hub.
BYOND Version:504
Operating System:Linux
Web Browser:Chrome 32.0.1700.102
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This issue has been resolved.
I am hosting 16 games. All of which are still online and are not visible via the hub. I am running in v504.1230 and my OS is Linux Ubuntu Server 13.10. Is there any way of resolving this?

The main utility, BYOND Hosting / Shell Server, seems to show up on the hub fine. No matter how many times I shutdown and start it up. However, all other servers seem to have a issue when users start them up. They are started up by using the shell() command to run "DreamDaemon game.dmb -safe -core -log Errors.log..."
Update: Okay, games seem to only show up on the hub if a player joins it first. This has been confirmed with 3 other games as well but not on different computers.

Edit: and when you leave it, it disappears from the hub.

I was having issues with 2 different PC's and three different games, all wouldn't show on the hub, no firewall etc port open blah blah.
Is it possible that the machine hosting the server can't reach the hub? You can tell by doing a 'ping hub.byond.com' from that machine. If it can't, then that would explain it because the client will also report live games, but that would only work when someone logs in. However, since it sounds like you have gotten a different game to show up in this manner, I doubt this is the problem. Is there something different about the way in which this is started?

The other thing we'd like to know is if this is something new to the beta (or with the threading). You could test this by turning the threads off or downgrading to 503.

I'll move this to BYOND Bugs because most likely this is an issue we'll at least want to test further.

Ping'd hub.byond.com went through fine.

Stable release for me.
Tom changed status to 'Verified'
byond://old.byondpanel.com:1154

Hub - http://www.byond.com/games/TheMagicMan/Manacept

Wed Feb 12 10:34:03 2014
World opened on network port 1154.
Welcome BYOND! (5.0 Public Version 503.1224)

# ping hub.byond.com
PING tesla.byond.com (50.22.142.19) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from tesla.byond.com (50.22.142.19): icmp_req=1 ttl=48 time=220 ms
64 bytes from tesla.byond.com (50.22.142.19): icmp_req=2 ttl=48 time=220 ms
64 bytes from tesla.byond.com (50.22.142.19): icmp_req=3 ttl=48 time=221 ms
64 bytes from tesla.byond.com (50.22.142.19): icmp_req=4 ttl=48 time=220 ms
64 bytes from tesla.byond.com (50.22.142.19): icmp_req=5 ttl=48 time=222 ms
^C
--- tesla.byond.com ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 4998ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 220.305/221.069/222.810/1.003 ms

Ping:

Some random bug I got. I don't know how or if it's even of use:
Game still isn't up on that page.
Does joining the game and waiting a few minutes cause it to show up for you, A.T.H.K?
No idea haven't joined, but the game isn't set to invisible so regardless it should jut show up.
Yes, but I think it's only appearing on the hub when a player is connected. That's what I've deduced from this.

Edit: If it helps any, my previous version was v501.1207 (Stable) and it ran perfectly fine on that version. I am also using threading at the moment. So, that may also be the cause of this, if A.T.H.K is using threading also.
If it's on by default, then I'm using it.
You said it was the stable build, 503.1224, and threads were disabled there. I found a relatively new bug in the code that explains the issue and have confirmed it; it does not apply to 504 with threads disabled.
So, essentially I have to turn off threading?
The problem I found is in 503.1224 specifically. The buggy code is only activated in that version. I'm still looking for any issues that might explain this in 504, but I would recommend seeing if there's a difference with or without threads.

[edit]
I actually did also find something threading-related, specific to the Linux version only. It would only happen with threads enabled.
This problem is also happening for me, I am hosting a game on BYONDPanel and it isn't showing up.
Turning threads off did in fact fix the issue. Hopefully I can still use threads in the future?

@Flysbad: Try joining the game via the ip:port directly and not via any links. byond://byondpanel.com:porthere. It should show up on the hub after a minute or two of having at least 1 player logged in.
See if this works in the latest 504 with threads on too.
Dream Daemon: invalid option '-map_threads' - Perhaps a typo?

Edit: Yes, it's a typo.

Thu Feb 13 15:11:21 2014
Dream Daemon: invalid option '-map_threads'
Thu Feb 13 15:11:56 2014
Dream Daemon: invalid option '-map_threads'
Thu Feb 13 15:15:48 2014
World opened on network port 6343.
Welcome BYOND! (5.0 Beta Version 504.1231)
The BYOND hub reports that port 6343 is reachable.

-map-threads on/off seems to do the trick. I'll be testing them with "on" now.
Page: 1 2