ID:149529

If anyone could Email Snippets for character handling that would be good, i dont want the actual code and id like it in order or with descriptions..

Deadrons Character Handling file really blows, its screwed around and makes no sense, when i look at the code i cant relate to what its uses are and how the code uses it. In short, its useless.

I dont want something i can just compile, i want something i need to study to use. thats how i learn, its the only way i do.

I need a character handling that Saves, Loads, Deletes,Supports Multiple classes, And is easy to read.

My main problems with Deadrons code is that I simply didnt know where to modify things.. where to put my character classes, where to put my Welcome messages, where to place the spawn point. So thats really all i need, Deadrons lazy butt to make his code more indepth so that not only Gurus can change the code, but that people looking at it can understand where to put things.

Email is
[email protected]
Dareb wrote:
I dont want something i can just compile, i want something i need to study to use. thats how i learn, its the only way i do.

Fortunately, that's the way most people are willing to help.

My main problems with Deadrons code is that I simply didnt know where to modify things.. where to put my character classes, where to put my Welcome messages, where to place the spawn point. So thats really all i need, Deadrons lazy butt to make his code more indepth so that not only Gurus can change the code, but that people looking at it can understand where to put things.

I know where you're coming from here. The problem is that basically, Deadron showed one way of handling characters, but there are many ways that likely as not depend greatly on the game. Like a battle system, a specific solution may not be completely applicable to a different game.

Deadron also made a CharacterForm library (or was it a demo?), which is available in the BYONDscape archives. This may be very similar but I suspect that comparing the two pieces of code will help you somewhat.

Lummox JR
Dareb wrote:
Deadrons Character Handling file really blows, its screwed around and makes no sense, when i look at the code i cant relate to what its uses are and how the code uses it. In short, its useless.

I don't see how you can think it "blows" if you obviously can't write one yourself. I agree that it's a little dense in places, but he covers a lot of complex things in the code, and as Lummox stated, you might not need all of those. Have you checked out the "light" version of the library?

First you say you want something easier to understand, then you say you want something that requires study to use. Not sure what you're looking for. I used the library early on in my BYOND days, and did a lot of modifying of it for my own needs, so it can be done. If I needed character saving in a new game, I would likely write my own at this point, but I'm glad it was there when I needed something quickly.

I need a character handling that Saves, Loads, Deletes,Supports Multiple classes, And is easy to read.

Sorry, there isn't one, but Deadron's does cover the first four of those five.

My main problems with Deadrons code is that I simply didnt know where to modify things.. where to put my character classes, where to put my Welcome messages, where to place the spawn point.

Yes, that's not very intuitive, I admit. But at least Deadron uses copious comments in his code... something a lot of people don't bother with.

So thats really all i need, Deadrons lazy butt to make his code more indepth so that not only Gurus can change the code, but that people looking at it can understand where to put things.

As much as Deadron has contributed and continues to contribute to this community, I would hardly classify him as "lazy." He offered a code which you can't use... is it his job to tailer it to your tastes? One could in the same vein ask you to get off your "lazy butt," learn to code, write a better character library, and offer it to the community. Most people here would love to have an another library of that sort.
i have never personally used deadron's character handling library, but i have talked to some people who use it (it seems like almost every game that saves uses it) and i have been told just the opposite, that it is good. if you cannot understand it don't just say "it blows". i have gotten along well with u in the past dareb, but it really angers me to see someone put so much time into the community and be such a big help only to have someone come along take a quick look at it and say that the contributor is lazy. if you do not like it then either ask for a lil help for someone to explain it better to you or use the help file.