ID:149595

ok everytime i try to host a game it sets this ip as the default 67.83.75.162 so everytime i try to host this is what it connects to....

byond://67.83.75.162:XXXX

xxxx being whatever random port was assigned. everytime someone or myself tries to play the game the connection always failscan any one tell me how to change the ip into something that will let me play the game online with people....

--DarkFireball
DarkFireball wrote:
ok everytime i try to host a game it sets this ip as the default 67.83.75.162 so everytime i try to host this is what it connects to....

byond://67.83.75.162:XXXX

xxxx being whatever random port was assigned. everytime someone or myself tries to play the game the connection always failscan any one tell me how to change the ip into something that will let me play the game online with people....

That looks like a DSL IP to me, so my guess is you're behind a firewall: Either on your own machine, at the ISP's end, or installed in your home.

A lot of people who use broadband connections use devices called switches that also have built-in firewalls. If the firewall is at your end, or is in a switch that you can set up, then you need to go into the firewall's settings and tell it to allow traffic on certain ports. Like, say, port 5000 for games you host and 5001 for the pager. Then, you just tell all the games you host to use that port.

A switch will share a connection between multiple machines, so incoming traffic needs to be told to go to one particular machine. In that case you have to tell it which local IP address (like 10.1.2.3 or 192.168.1.2 or something) should get the traffic from that port.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
A switch will share a connection between multiple machines, so incoming traffic needs to be told to go to one particular machine. In that case you have to tell it which local IP address (like 10.1.2.3 or 192.168.1.2 or something) should get the traffic from that port.

My router is stupid -- it doesn't allow me to switch off specific ports. I had to switch off the hardware firewall entirely for my PC and get a software firewall (the hardware firewall is still up for my brother's PC, since it stupidly only allows you to expose one computer to the internet, too).