ID:1495984

Ok I've played a lot of Naruto games out there and it comes to me that some of them have the same exact graphics (Icons).
How are people doing this? Are they some how riping the resource of the game and useing it for theirs?
The fangame segment of BYOND is plagued with source code leaks and quite a lot of illegal activity.

So... Yes, basically.
To calm your fears, no, they are not stealing the art from games with black magic. The sources to the games just get around more than....I'm not going to finish that.
MIOGenesis wrote:
Ok I've played a lot of Naruto games out there and it comes to me that some of them have the same exact graphics (Icons).
How are people doing this? Are they some how riping the resource of the game and useing it for theirs?

It's nothing new, and has been around forever. People are just ambitious with the personality of a snake. Trust is given too easily, which results into what we have today.

There are tons of games out there, just don't mind or play copies that have no worth to be played anyway. They're just unbalanced poorly, coded garbage.
i wonder if the power of a CD would stop all this ripping from original games.
Nope. It would just move it all off-site, where it would become that much harder to stop.
I think anime games are the best and worst thing that has happened to this site. This site wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for them. Waiting for another silkWizard to come on by. Not only that, I'll say 95% of the developers we have now all came here because of an anime game, which is a plus.
In response to Cubanbling
Cubanbling wrote:
I think anime games are the best and worst thing that has happened to this site. This site wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for them. Waiting for another silkWizard to come on by. Not only that, I'll say 95% of the developers we have now all came here because of an anime game, which is a plus.

There's honestly, nothing wrong with them at all. Sure they're crappy programmed games ran by your neighbors 13 year old son but if people play it that's what they enjoy. I've been saying this for years, we just need better game developers. BYOND has yet to take a step in the viral games department.

Nestalgia 'was' good, but you can't expect people to live in the past forever can you? We advanced to live on to better things. Things with boobs. If we stayed making games with outdated graphics that'll be like playing Vanilla WoW for years, though there's private servers out there that are successful even whilst being a Vanilla server, that's because so many people talk greatly about it making the people who never experienced it want to go check it out, rinse and repeat an unending cycle of donations for the server because the people talk about the past. But Nestalgia looks like the past making it nostalgic, however it's not the past making it forgettable thus the spotlight on it fades, and people go back to modern day games.
Let's play nice now, folks. No need to get caught up in the usual derail: "This is why BYOND is bad. X is literally worse than cancer, and so should you.".

I don't want to have to come back and clean up a bunch of bait, trolling and personal attacks, so keep that in mind.

The same applies to you, Murrowko.
im still waiting on some high quality games to be made... i may or may not be apart of that list but i really want a game that plays like something that belongs on a GBA or DS...

as a pixel artist i can say finding a coding partner is damn there impossible :(

also, when i joined byond the first game i played was Naruto goa and honestly if a old version of the game was up i'd stay on byond and play it for 7more years.
In response to Southend_boi
Southend_boi wrote:

as a pixel artist i can say finding a coding partner is damn there impossible :(

That's a shame .. it's normally the other way around .. programmers can't find Pixel Artists...
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Southend_boi wrote:

That's a shame .. it's normally the other way around .. programmers can't find Pixel Artists...

+100000

It's very hard for programmers to find good pixel artists. I failed at all my attempts
In response to Eternal_Memories
Eternal_Memories wrote:
A.T.H.K wrote:
Southend_boi wrote:

+100000

It's very hard for programmers to find good pixel artists. I failed at all my attempts

I'm a pixel artist, and I don't know about other's experiences, but I don't feel "safe" working with most programmers on this site. This feeling led me to start doing both programming and art by myself. I know a few people who started doing this as well. The issue is programmers need artists, but are scared the artists will run with their code, and the artists are scared the programmers will run with their art. The general distrust is disgusting, but honestly it's not unfounded given the history of "ripping" - which is sad.

What we need are contracts. Someone get drafting. :D
An artist wouldn't have the code .. that's silly .. they don't need it at all they make art.

Running with the art is another thing.

Granted this site is mostly kids .. when it comes to money .. that's a different story.
In response to A.T.H.K
Some artists can do small things, like program turfs, objects, etc. Small things that are tedious for the programmer. In this case access to some of the code is required. Otherwise it becomes a chore to work against the schedules of the other people.
Programming turfs objects etc can be done without giving anyone the full source code.. Hell they don't even need DreamMaker for that.

I don't know what you do with your files but any *good* programmer can work without the entire source code..
I'm wondering why an artist would be doing tedious programming work when he/she could be doing more art
In response to MisfitWarrior
Maybe the programmer had an emergency and the artist was left to work on the game alone for a few days? Or what if all the art was done, and it was just waiting to be implemented? It only makes sense that the programmer work on the core of the game, and the artist do the little things.

Anyway, this conversation is just proving my point about the general distrust.
Obviously when you trust your sound guy you have to give him your entire source.
There's no point on sharing your source with anybody, plus programming things like grass, dirt, or whatever you want to use as turf takes 1 second.
Page: 1 2 3 4