Well this thread took a turn.

Everyone's opinions are up for debate regardless of what they've done- if you don't agree with them and have an alternative approach, explain and provide it- don't just say they're not worth listening to cause they're not famous? God forbid someone listens to Peter Molyneux on game design.

I'm surprised by the reaction Cuba's post even got, but I guess it was the straw that broke the proverbial back?
Pixel artist don't really need the whole source... to avoid a leak only the main programmer should have the full source to avoid being spoofed and sending it to someone that'll make countless rips... or something weird like that.

when i work on a game all i really need is a little test area source to see animations in action and see how buildings/turfs will look next to each other abetter mapping system would be nice as i know nothing about coding and cant even copy and paste it with out messing up the whole source.

Making games takes teamwork and if you cant trust someone write out a contract and both of you sign it...(forgot this is byond but contracts bind everything!) a programmer shouldn't have more power than a artist unless he's paying him same can be said for the artist...
Since i helped to derail the thread, i might as well drop my opinion on the matter.

If you are collaborating with someone else, by collaboration i mean you are both designing the game, you're partners, Co-owners; whatever, then sharing the source is going to make things easier, you can take it as a vote of confidence too. Obviously you need to have an idea whether this person can be trusted if you are going that route in the first place.

If the artist has no say in the design, or, he was hired to work solely on the art, then there's no need for this. I'm guessing when you work on a comercial project then you have to be more cautious. You can't trust this person? Make a contract, like southend said.

By the way, there has to be a reason why most of the leaked sources are anime mmos, don't you think :/?
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Howey wrote:

I'd rather get a playable game, then make changes once it's playable.

Things are always ever changing and it doesn't matter if you need to make those changes after the project has gone live, I think having a set plan is a great idea any further changes should be written down and done at a later date.

Getting your game live is all that matters in the end.

This is what I was trying to say originally. I have a set plan and plan to stick to it until that plan is carried out, then take suggestions on additional features/changes after the game is live and the original plan is complete.
Yut Put wrote:
I think he means that 99%(if not all) of the programmers on the BYOND website are absolutely incompetent, can't finish games, and when they do finish games the end products are complete garbage regardless of how good the art is.

See: byond games

[Citation Needed]
Yut Put wrote:
I think he means that 99%(if not all) of the programmers on the BYOND website are absolutely incompetent, can't finish games, and when they do finish games the end products are complete garbage regardless of how good the art is.

See: byond games

Oh boy.
Page: 1 2 3 4