ID:1496099

BYOND Version:503
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 27.0
Applies to:DM Language

A member of our crack team of bug testers has verified that this issue is reproducible, and has handed it off to the development team for investigation.
Animated icons work perfectly as cursors for mobs when using mouse_over_pointer but when setting the user's mouse_pointer_icon to an animated icon it only animates when the user moves.
Does any map movement cause the cursor to animate, or is only if the mob in question is moving? I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

If you could setup a simple test case for this, that'd be a big help.
I am not sure how to go about sending the files but here is a break down of the code (if it doesn't work let me know how I can share the example as I already have it made):

client
mouse_pointer_icon = 'nonanimated_icon.dmi'

mob
icon = 'mob.dmi'
verb
animate_mouse_pointer()
usr.client.mouse_pointer_icon = 'animated_icon.dmi'

This will change the icon correctly however you will notice it will only go through the frames one by one with each movement (i.e. press of an arrow).

Moderator Note: Just a quick tip, code looks better in DM tags. Edit this post to take a look at how to post code using DM tags.

Thankful poster Note: Thanks I was trying to figure that out as I have seen it done a million times. XD
http://files.byondhome.com/Ter13/testbed_src.zip

Uploaded a simple demonstration of this issue. Confirmed still an issue on latest working beta at time of writing. (504.1230)

Also: @KickingKangaroo: A BYOND Membership not only helps fund BYOND, but also gives you free storage space where you can upload files to your member site.
In response to Ter13
I am so close to graduating and finally not being a broke college student it will be then that my member-time-to-shine will arrive :)

Thanks for the confirmation by the way.

I really would love for this feature to work because I am currently working on a moba and would love for skill casts to change the player's cursor on enemy mouseovers. Without it animating it will feel a little dull and not "OMG YOU ARE REALLY ABOUT TO CAST THAT SKILL ON THEM" if that makes sense.

I am also in the middle of finding a workaround should this feature work to refresh the mouse pointer on the change command because as of now if the mouse is already over the mob you want to cast the skill on and you press your skill button you have to move the mouse off + back on for the cursor to change (I am currently running the change on mouseover once a skill being active check is run).

This probably went into way more detail than you care for but perhaps it will explain the use in all of this.
Also come to think of it when you get to the bottom of this it may be why button background images don't support animated icons as well, just food for thought.
In response to KickingKangaroo
KickingKangaroo wrote:
Also come to think of it when you get to the bottom of this it may be why button background images don't support animated icons as well, just food for thought.

Cursor animation is done automatically by Windows; buttons are completely different.
In response to Lummox JR
Ah I see, do you know of any work arounds for animated buttons? I have found some instances of people messing around with jumping through winsets but that would seem to be a very memory demanding way to go about it.

And since the cursors are handled by windows does that mean the cursor trouble cannot be solved?

Thank you by the way for spending your time on this.
In response to KickingKangaroo
The cursor animation problem is more likely to be something on our end, though I wouldn't say it's a guarantee.
In response to Lummox JR
Ahh well I appreciate everything you do. Have a good day.
I've looked into this, and it appears that we're not actually supporting cursor animation at all. (As such, I'm not even strictly sure it's even a bug.) When a cursor is requested, we're merely grabbing the current animation frame. The cursor isn't being set to a proper animated cursor; this appears to be something that's hard to do in Windows, however.

I have some ideas for workarounds, but I don't think it's an easy problem to tackle quickly so this is a fairly low-priority change.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Verified'
You are the man Lummox JR, if you can get to it I appreciate it as it will make much of what I am doing look cosmetically similar to other Mobas on the market. However, being that it is just an appearance thing I understand it will be very low priority. It just seems so weird that mouse_over_pointer supports it but alas I am not the expert :P