ID:149699

Ello again all :P
ive bean hard at work the past few weaks working on Final Fantasy Online, and i've had to remake the combat like hmm 10 times. but the reason is the mob stops walking after a certain ammount of time.
when i remove this code it stops
mob/Move()
if(usr.islocked == 1)
return
else
..()

i dont see anything wrong with that, if no one can help, it doesnt realy matter.
for some people that dont know about Final Fantasy Online, it may be hosted tonight open beta test.
i would also like to Announce a new Staff Member to the team.
* Ghaleon
Members of the team.
* Me "RaeKwon" - Coder.
* Ghaleon - Coder.
* Cadoacan - Graphics.

RaeKwon
yay... another final fantasy game..... *tries to act exitced, but fails horribly*
In response to Dreq
well theres not many other topics that might seem interesting unless u make ur own. my idea for a Grand Theft Auto game failed. Everyone is sick of DBZ games. Dragon Warrior games are getting big. and now Final Fantasy games. I personally think that the Final Fantasy games are a great idea. If u don't want to see so many copies of games make ur own game with ur own storyline

P.S. sorry i can't help w/ the code
In response to Alienman22774
heh..
i know my FF game will be the top on beta release, for 1 useing Final Fantasy 3/4/5 Graphics.
for 2 it aint an exact copy of the game i make my own quests and map and town maps ect..
it is still a as Byonders call a "rip" but who cares, if i wanna make a FF game, then i will.
now please no one post any Sarcastic remarks, cause if you do in advance,
Lay off my back and whine at the other creatores of fan games that inspired me like goo o'l SilkWizard :)
- RaeKwon
In response to RaeKwon
i couldn't agree with u more RaeKwon
That should work fine. The problem will be somewhere else where you change islocked. In order to test this just add a feature to the Click() proc where it sends the user the value of islocked from the mob it clicks on. When the mob stops just click on it to see if it's islocked var is set to 1. If it is, then search your code for where it could be changing.

You can actually shorten that code up a bit like this:

mob/Move()
if(islocked) return
..()

That should have the same effect but it's more compact and cleaner IMHO.
In response to English
what about my game its original. It has mining, Lock picking all those specials things that make a game and it isnt Dbz or something which is over used. By the way anybody wanna help me script my game. I have an artist me and the sound design me and basically the whole thing me. I am filling to accept anybody who wants to join!
In response to Mrhat99au
what is it called? I might be interested...
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:
Lay off my back and whine at the other creatores of fan games that inspired me like goo o'l SilkWizard :)

To my mind a person who repeats someone else's foolish mistake is worse than the person who makes it in the first place.
If you're inspired to make a similar game, then by all means do so, but it's pretty pretentious to call your game "Final Fantasy" and base it off someone else's creation.

Lummox JR
In response to Alienman22774
Alienman22774 wrote:
well theres not many other topics that might seem interesting unless u make ur own. my idea for a Grand Theft Auto game failed. Everyone is sick of DBZ games. Dragon Warrior games are getting big. and now Final Fantasy games. I personally think that the Final Fantasy games are a great idea. If u don't want to see so many copies of games make ur own game with ur own storyline

Your idea of a GTA game failed because it wasn't so much your idea. I'm not referring to the fact that it's a fan game concept, but rather that it's been brought up before (I think at least twice).

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
i can tell Lummerx you havnt looked to much around byond, i dont see a heading say DONT COPY NINTENDOS GAMES, no i dont. so dont post after this, i dont need to hear it.
i can make a FF game if i want, so :P
and ive made plenty of other origional games, so gimme a break eh?
one has mining, smithing, crafting of rubies into saphires fishing, quests, icons made by me there is 30 skills alltogether. so dont dare say i cant make somthing origional if thats whats goona pop outa your mouth next.
i can predect what people from byond say its all
DRAGONBALL GT GENESIS RIP!
"rip"
"rip"
"rip"
"rip"
"rip"
if you dont know what the True meaining of the word rip is, dont say it, call it a "copy"
Thanks,
- RaeKwon
P.S yes i am making a "copy" of Final Fantasy 2/3/4
In response to RaeKwon
Dantom can't stop people from stealing copywritten content without charging up the butt to pay for ways to enforce it. They should not have to. It's the law, not something made up for BYOND. Should BYOND ever get big, companies will take notice of copywritten material and send their lawyers to either shut BYOND down or weaken it enough so that no one wants to use it.

If you want to make an online RPG, you can do everything that was done in Final Fantasy. The anime style and battles systems are free for all. The character profiles and artwork are not. If you don't put "Final Fantasy" in the title, use a character such as Cloud (sorry, I don't remember old FF names), or steal icons, you are fine. You will have created a game just like Final Fantasy with no problems. The ideas are free. The implementation is not.
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:
i can tell Lummerx you havnt looked to much around byond, i dont see a heading say DONT COPY NINTENDOS GAMES, no i dont. so dont post after this, i dont need to hear it.

Are you saying that any act is perfectly acceptable provided no one specifically tells you not to do it? There have been many, many posts talking about fan games and such; most don't have a subject heading that says it all, let alone the specific one you mentioned (mostly because people who'd post such a thing tend not to use all caps and know what an apostrophe is), but some have indeed had subject headings about copyright infringement and whatnot. So even if your silly take on morality held water, which it doesn't, people on these very forums have said more times than I can count not to rip off people's games blatantly.

i can make a FF game if i want, so :P

No, because it's not a Final Fantasy game; it's a rip-off of a Final Fantasy game. There's a big difference. I can call my desk lamp Mr. President, but that doesn't mean it can sign bills into law.

You could just as easily make a game like it but different in important ways, enough to say it's inspired by Final Fantasy but that it's really your own creation.

and ive made plenty of other origional games, so gimme a break eh?

No.
The point isn't whether you've ever made an original game, but that you seem to think there's nothing wrong with plagiarism.

one has mining, smithing, crafting of rubies into saphires fishing, quests, icons made by me there is 30 skills alltogether. so dont dare say i cant make somthing origional if thats whats goona pop outa your mouth next.

I never said that; you're mischaracterizing my statement and putting words in my mouth. What I said is that this game, since you're calling it Final Fantasy something-or-other, is a rip-off of Final Fantasy and you'd do well to amend that so it's something more along the lines of an original game inspired by Final Fantasy.

i can predect what people from byond say its all
DRAGONBALL GT GENESIS RIP!
"rip"
"rip"
"rip"
"rip"
"rip"
if you dont know what the True meaining of the word rip is, dont say it, call it a "copy"

I didn't say "rip" at all. In the previous post I never once called your game a "rip" of Final Fantasy, so I have no idea why you pulled that particular argument out of the blue, nor how you could get it so spectacularly wrong in the process. ("Rip" and "copy" mean the same thing: An identical copy with at most a few superficial alterations.)
In this post, however, I've said you're making a "rip-off", which is a different concept. A rip-off of something is tantamount to merely stealing its name, icons, and other parts of its intellectual property for your own purposes, while making a different game.

P.S yes i am making a "copy" of Final Fantasy 2/3/4

Since you've demonstrated you don't really understand what the word means, what did you mean to say instead of "copy"?

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
*sees somone buy a role ot toilet paper and yells to them that what they are doing is a rip-off what what he is doing*

everyone calls everything a rip-off everything in the world is a rip-off there is nothing origional that hasnt bean thought of somone else before that person, so dont bother posting anymore, i aint got the time im at school.
- RaeKwon (is making Final Fantasy Online) i think yee forgot the Online part, eh?
- RaeKwon
In response to ACWraith
the word Final Fantasy isnt origional ok? Final Fantasy in other words also means like its your "FInal Fantasy" or whatever you want to use it as, nothing no one can do, thats like me calling a game Butterd_Toast and copyrighting it, i wouldnt give a flying [BLEEP] is somone used the name cause it has to do with somthing that is used in everyday life, all over the world, personnaly i know FInal Fantasy is used in a frase all the time, not nessesaraly with "FInal Fantasy the game" so who cares, what if im baseing it off that?
- RaeKwon
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:
*sees somone buy a role ot toilet paper and yells to them that what they are doing is a rip-off what what he is doing*

*Does research to see if anyone has filed a patent on the process of making a purchase of toilet paper. Does not find record of same.*

Nope, it seems that you may safely purchase toilet paper without breaking any laws.
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:
the word Final Fantasy isnt origional ok? Final Fantasy in other words also means like its your "FInal Fantasy" or whatever you want to use it as, nothing no one can do, thats like me calling a game Butterd_Toast and copyrighting it, i wouldnt give a flying [BLEEP] is somone used the name cause it has to do with somthing that is used in everyday life, all over the world, personnaly i know FInal Fantasy is used in a frase all the time, not nessesaraly with "FInal Fantasy the game" so who cares, what if im baseing it off that?

I for one have never heard "final fantasy" used as a phrase to describe anything but the game. It's clearly not as common as "buttered toast", and clearly not in common use. It sounds to me as if you're trying to defend the indefensible by claiming something is common when it's not. If it has come into any kind of use, it's only because of the game, which still means that existing trademarks are in force.

Lummox JR
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:

Buying toilet-paper isn't a rip-off unless the store is overcharging you, which is a different meaning of the term anyway. What's your point?

everyone calls everything a rip-off everything in the world is a rip-off there is nothing origional that hasnt bean thought of somone else before that person

"There is nothing new under the sun" is a concept that dates back thousands of years; it doesn't negate originality, however, but merely reminds us that even original thoughts tend to play out along well-known themes. I'm sure I've had plenty of thoughts that no other human being has ever had; they just weren't great epiphanies. Likewise you've probably had your share, for your age anyway. Originality can come in anything from a story to a cast of characters to a drawing to an unusual name for something.

All this is entirely different from taking the name of someone else's game, or book, or company, and using it yourself. That's just out-and-out plagiarism, and you know it. You're simply trying to justify what you've done, but the fact remains that it's not a justifiable act.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
why don't you just change the name and use your own icons. oh wait... that would be too original. my bad I'll go back to keeping my mouth shut now.
In response to RaeKwon
It is not a matter of being original. It is a matter of copyright.

Taking a name from something in everyday life is not a problem. Using the same name as something in the same market is a problem. Companies send their lawyers in to complain about them losing part of the market. If you named some kind of food "Toasted Final Fantasy", Square might try something, but there is less they could do about it.

There are slimey ways to get around it, or at least avoid it for possibly a longer period. "FInal Fantasy" probably would not stand a chance in court. However, if you did something like "Your Final Fantasy", there might not be as much of a problem. I think "FF Online" might be a decent enough name. You can keep coming up with different ideas for what FF stands for. (Don't use the "Final Fantasy: Subname" route.)

Overall though, why bother with annoying lawyers at all if you can avoid them with a simple name change? I'm not saying you are some evil enemy. I'm trying to give you a chance to create the same type of game without legal/ethical problems.

PS: There are people/companies who try to get patents on everyday things. They sometimes get them. They do not have many fans.
Page: 1 2