ID:149706

I hear associative lists are really helpful. Could somebody maybe tell me in what instances you use an associative list?
Canar wrote:
I hear associative lists are really helpful. Could somebody maybe tell me in what instances you use an associative list?

Darnit, I know Lummox did a whole BYONDscape article on associated lists, but now I don't see it on the page.

Did Donald Rumsfeld determine that the terrorists might use this information?
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
[snip]
Darnit, I know Lummox did a whole BYONDscape article on associated lists, but now I don't see it on the page.
[snip]

It's in the archive. :)
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:

It's no longer on the main page, but in the archives (a link appears at the top of the main page).

I'd personally like to see something a little closer to the contents-style page I put up on Bwicki, so articles by given authors or by topic (or by column) could be found more quickly.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Deadron wrote:

It's no longer on the main page, but in the archives (a link appears at the top of the main page).

Oops I totally missed that. Well here is the direct link (free article too, which is amazing given its value):

http://www.byondscape.com/scape.dmb/content/000008/ index.html

I'd personally like to see something a little closer to the contents-style page I put up on Bwicki, so articles by given authors or by topic (or by column) could be found more quickly.

Ya know, looking for this article made me realize we've done a lot of stuff for BYONDscape!
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Ya know, looking for this article made me realize we've done a lot of stuff for BYONDscape!

That we have. I'm trying to think of a good all-around topic for the next installment of Dream Tutor. I was thinking I should write an article on common ways of making doors, stairs, etc.; they're common enough newbie questions that they deserve their own article. I was going to do one called "Move() Demystified", but that'd probably be difficult without having an example of what the "soft code" versions of the default procs (for Move(), Enter(), etc.) look like.

The last column took only a day to crank out; the associative lists article took longer. Still, this last one was kind of a fluke that way, so I'd like to give myself a little lead time on this one, and maybe include a few graphics.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
The last column took only a day to crank out; the associative lists article took longer. Still, this last one was kind of a fluke that way, so I'd like to give myself a little lead time on this one, and maybe include a few graphics.

I usually get inspired on something and write the bulk of it in a couple of hours, then complete it over the period of a week in moments here and there.

At the moment I have no inspiration...but the DDT contributed with Birdland, and an upcoming tie-in that will require some coding, so I don't feel too guilty yet!
In response to Deadron
thanks. I thought I saw that article once before but it looked pretty long and I didn't have time to read it then.