ID:149743

Is there a way to enable masking of bmps or pngs so that a certain color is transparent? IE can I make color slot 0 be the mask color so that if I place the bmp/png on a map, turfs underneath will show through?

-James
Jmurph wrote:
Is there a way to enable masking of bmps or pngs so that a certain color is transparent? IE can I make color slot 0 be the mask color so that if I place the bmp/png on a map, turfs underneath will show through?

PNGs have transparency support built in; BMPs do not. Last I knew, 192,192,192 was still the color representing transparency in BMPs in BYOND, though PNG files don't have this behavior because they can be given transparency in an image editor.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Hrm. Well I use Adobe Photoshop and have tried saving png's with transparency, but the "transparent" shows up white in DM and DS. Have you gotten the transparency to work when using a png on a map?

-James
In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
Hrm. Well I use Adobe Photoshop and have tried saving png's with transparency, but the "transparent" shows up white in DM and DS. Have you gotten the transparency to work when using a png on a map?

I haven't tried using PNG on a map, but supposedly this should work just fine. Have you verified that the PNG file is actually transparent?

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Jmurph wrote:

PNGs have transparency support built in; BMPs do not. Last I knew, 192,192,192 was still the color representing transparency in BMPs in BYOND, though PNG files don't have this behavior because they can be given transparency in an image editor.

Lummox JR

OMG!!! This is such a major help!!!!
Never knew the 192,192,192 thing!!! YES!!! now my 3D overlays will look so much better...

Thanks!

LJR
In response to Lummox JR
Good call. Apparently when Adobe saves "transparent" it doesn't actually define a transparent color. Fixed it with Microsoft Photo Editor.

-James