ID:149816

Ok I have some ideas which involved a group of global vars, for mobs, items/ For statement, if this break state. But just wonder if anyone can get me going in the right direction for randoming placing a mob or obj in a space that has a density of 0 on the map. Also add in a random sleep timer so they are not spawn at the same time like clock work.

LJR
Don't like to bump, but did anyone see this?? As not a single person replied to it. I really need some kinda of guidence here as its getting old to have to reboot my world to repopulate all the monsters. :P

LJR
In response to LordJR
Not being an expert on BYOND, I think I can at least give you something to chew on...

you should be able to put a mob at a random location with something like this (not BYOND specific, but convertable I would imagine):
map_width = 100      // width of map
map_height = 100     // height of map
turf_level = 0       // turf level

x = random number between 1 and map_width
y = random number between 1 and map_height
(I guess you could have random turf levels too)

if location(x, y, turf_level) has density of 0,
  then the mob can be moved there by normal means
else
  re-run the randomization of x and y and try again...

the random sleep timer can also be implemented before the if-check is performed, or before the randomization...hope that steers you in the right direction...
LordJR wrote:
Ok I have some ideas which involved a group of global vars, for mobs, items/ For statement, if this break state. But just wonder if anyone can get me going in the right direction for randoming placing a mob or obj in a space that has a density of 0 on the map. Also add in a random sleep timer so they are not spawn at the same time like clock work.

A way could be to have special spawn areas, and just locate() a turf in that area. Having seen your game in action, I don't see why you should have a problem with this. :) But I didn't understand the break state and global vars exactly. Please explain more if you need help.

/Andreas
In response to LordJR
Well, I posted an example of spawner obj's that do something very similar to this. You can find it here.

-James
In response to Jmurph
My spawning code still isn't working beyond the 1st time when the game is booted.

My spawner is an obj that I place through out the map. I have multiple spawn areas through out my maps. Somehow I need to tag a monster for when they come out of the spawner so it knows to spawned -- from the right spawner.

What the code below does works find the 1st time around. Also the proc I created at the bottom is called from the mob/npc/ when it does a health check.

Once a monster is killed it never respawns because the spawned -- is not telling the spawner to make a new mob. I know this much but not how to correct the problem.

LJR

snippet..

obj/spawner

name = null

// Mob Maxes

var/MAX_KINGRATS = 25

var/spawned = 0 // count of mobs spawned

New()

..()

while (1)
src.check_spawn() // start the spawn calls

sleep(100) // wait 10 secs

proc/check_spawn() // called periodically to check to see if

// any new mobs should be generated

if(spawned < MAX_KINGRATS) // make sure we haven't reached limit

var/mob/npc/M = new /mob/npc/King_Rat(src.loc) // generate mob

M.Move(loc)

spawned ++ // increment the counter

proc/npc_death()

spawned --

This is the code that calls the npc_death()

NPCDeath(mob/pc/M)

/obj/spawner/proc/npc_death

..blah..blah

In response to LordJR
Okay, I assume NPCDeath is called when the mob gets killed. An easier way might be to make a mob/var/obj/spawner/spawned_by on the mob that is set to the spawning object when the mob is initially spawned. That why in its del() proc you can just call src.spawned_by.spawned --. That why every mob will adjust their specific spawner when deleted.

-James