ID:149879

What am I doing wrong here? The icon exsists, as do the icon_states mentioned in the code. I get no errors at compilation, nor any runtimes. This seems correct to me according to what the reference says, but it doesn't work:

obj
exits
icon = 'mouse_icons.dmi'

exit_north
mouse_over_pointer = "exit_north"

exit_east
mouse_over_pointer = "exit_east"

exit_south
mouse_over_pointer = "exit_south"

exit_west
mouse_over_pointer = "exit_west"

Thanx for the input!

~X

(using b32 if this happens to be a bug :P)
Xooxer wrote:
What am I doing wrong here? The icon exsists, as do the icon_states mentioned in the code. I get no errors at compilation, nor any runtimes. This seems correct to me according to what the reference says, but it doesn't work:

I just tested it out by placing some exit_north objects on the map, and the state did change when I moved the mouse over them. Are you trying something different? Perhaps you have a spelling error in the state names?
In response to Tom
Nothing is spelled wrong. That is the exact code I am using, and there are exit_west objs on the map. The only thing that may be diffren than your test is I have no icon for the obj, meaning, only those 4 states exsist in mouse_icons.dmi. I want the obj to be invisible on the screen, and use it to indicate that this area is an exit...

[EDIT]

Thanx for the speedy reply, Tom... You and Dan are too good to us! :-)

Ok... so the obj needs an icon on the map for the mouse_over_pionter to work. I really wish it didn't.

Is there an alternative method I may have overlooked to get the effect I desire? As an exit could be anything, I don't want to have to make an is_exit variable for all my turfs and manually switch them on and off in the map editor... I was hoping for an easier solution. (my first attempt was to use an area, but alas...)

~X
In response to Xooxer
Ok, well... this is becoming more frusterating than it should be...

Why don't movies for mouse icons play the animation? It seems silly not to alow this. Also, when the mouse is no longer over an obj that has a mouse_over_pointer variable set, why doesn't the mouse's icon revert to it's previous state? Should I be using MouseEntered() and MouseExited() instead, and if so, how? I have failed to get these procs to funtion properly.... Banging my head on the keyboard seems to have little effect as well...

I just want the mouse to change to an animated arrow that indicates to the player that this area is an exit when the mouse enters that area, whatever the turf may be. Then to change back to the plain old arrow icon when it leaves that area. Is this too much to ask?

~Befuddled Xoox
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:

Ok... so the obj needs an icon on the map for the mouse_over_pionter to work. I really wish it didn't.

I think that the problem is that the map uses the icon mask to detect the mouse-over event, so when you don't have an icon there, you won't get the event. You can change this behavior by setting <code>mouse_opacity = 2</code> for your object. That is a new feature; you can read about it in the F1 help.
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:

Why don't movies for mouse icons play the animation? It seems silly not to alow this.

It is silly not to allow that, but it's more work for us, and we really don't have the time to futz with this much right now.

Also, when the mouse is no longer over an obj that has a mouse_over_pointer variable set, why doesn't the mouse's icon revert to it's previous state?

You'll have to show me what you are trying to do here. The mouse pointer should be controlled by the mouse_over_pointer states of the objects it traverses over.
In response to Tom
For the exit obj:

obj
exits
icon = 'mouse_icons.dmi'
mouse_opacity = 2

exit_north
mouse_over_pointer = "exit_north"

for all other turfs: (basicly, the rest of the map)

turf
mouse_over_pointer = MOUSE_INACTIVE_POINTER

When the mouse leaves the exit_north obj, it's icon remains the "exit_north" state of the mouse_icons.dmi and does not change back to the MOUSE_INACTIVE_POINTER as I would expect it to...
In response to Tom
Yeah, and animated pointers could cause some really off visual effects, kinda like the current ones do on a slow computer when moving, or over an animated atom.