ID:150018

Alright, last night I changed an object, /obj/equipment/weapon/NewArea/Guardians_Axe, to /obj/equipment/weapon/HarpieTemple/Guardians_Axe.. Now everyone who had the former icon, and logs in, can no longer use that character... This is the output.

BYOND Error: failed to certify Reokon
Warning: type read from file (/obj/equipment/weapon/NewArea/Guardians_Axe) is not defined.
runtime error: cannot append to list
proc name: base LoadMob (/client/proc/base_LoadMob)
usr: ChoosingCharacter (/mob/BaseCamp/ChoosingCharacter)
src: Reokon (/client)
call stack:
Reokon (/client): base LoadMob("Lord_Reo")
ChoosingCharacter (/mob/BaseCamp/ChoosingCharacter): ChooseCharacter()
ChoosingCharacter (/mob/BaseCamp/ChoosingCharacter): Login()

Now, how could I modify the code to automatically delete the item from the file if it cannot be found?

Polatrite, Assassin of the Sun
Do a player wipe (delete all the .sav files), when a savefile can't find the vars it has saved it gives you some nice little runtime errors.
In response to Nadrew
I would, but alot of my players are level 20+. I don't want to sacrifice their hours of work just because a couple have a bug. I just want to modify the code to delete the item for me.
In response to Polatrite
Since it was removed from your code there's no way to add code to remove it.
Polatrite wrote:
Alright, last night I changed an object, /obj/equipment/weapon/NewArea/Guardians_Axe, to /obj/equipment/weapon/HarpieTemple/Guardians_Axe.. Now everyone who had the former icon, and logs in, can no longer use that character... This is the output.

BYOND Error: failed to certify Reokon

This part isn't the library...that's a BYOND problem.

Warning: type read from file (/obj/equipment/weapon/NewArea/Guardians_Axe) is not defined.

The thing to do is create the original object type again in your code, then set it to delete itself after it is read in...something like:

/obj/equipment/weapon/NewArea/Guardians_Axe
Read()
// Let myself get read in.
var/result = ..()

// Delete myself in a tick...just to make sure I'm not confusing anything.
spawn()
del(src)
return ..()

This is just off the top of my head, so test it before you roll it out.