I wonder what will happen without the almighty helix fossil to guide them.
Bulbasaur's cry will be missed.

I think that without accidental releases and whatnot, a lot of the meme power behind TPP will die out. Plus GSC was arguably easier. So I don't see this being a real big thing. Still gonna keep up on it just in case QX
I don't think the popularity of TPP has to do with the design of the game (everybody controlling something). Had they chosen a different game, Dragon Warrior for instance, it would not have achieved the critical mass to go viral. Pokemon was ripe for this level of engagement for several reasons. First, it was something we all already know. Even if you never played a Pokemon game, you still could name half the original 150, had seen an episode of the anime, and were conversant in Pokemon. Our generation can discuss the world in terms of Pokemon. Second, despite it's popularity and inherent trading feature, Pokemon was something you experienced by largely by yourself. Imagine if the most popular musician never played concerts or appeared on TV. Then after 15 years of ruling the pop charts, he decides to do a concert.

Back to game design, though. My initial take away is that this control scheme won't attract players. It's frustrating, there's no feedback to let you know if you command even executed, let alone when it executed. That being said, people want to experience things together. They want to collaborate. They will work in shifts and organize outside your game. Were I to design a game based on what I saw here, I'd make something were everyone collaborated on moving a goal forward, but didn't control a singular avatar. Something like Guns of Icarus Online, where there'd be a big air/space/water ship that everyone had part in moving forward. Someone would have to steer, someone would have to repair leaks, someone would have to shovel space coal into the space boiler... or whatever.
In response to IainPeregrine
IainPeregrine wrote:
... where there'd be a big air/space/water ship that everyone had part in moving forward. Someone would have to steer, someone would have to repair leaks, someone would have to shovel space coal into the space boiler... or whatever.

Reminds me of Puzzle Pirates.

lmao, TPP just played an ad and everyone starts spamming "LORD HELIX HAS FORSAKEN US". honestly the chat is more entertaining than the actual game.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
lmao, TPP just played an ad and everyone starts spamming "LORD HELIX HAS FORSAKEN US". honestly the chat is more entertaining than the actual game.

Amen to that. Have you been watching twitter? All the characters have handles, and you could watch Bird Jesus give advice to DigRat when he was fighting an enemy. A lot of the accounts would keep track of all the art being produce, too.

In response to KickingKangaroo
KickingKangaroo wrote:
IainPeregrine wrote:
... where there'd be a big air/space/water ship that everyone had part in moving forward. Someone would have to steer, someone would have to repair leaks, someone would have to shovel space coal into the space boiler... or whatever.

Reminds me of Puzzle Pirates.

Sure does.
Page: 1 2 3