ID:150160

anyone have anyclue how you could have a building with multiple levels, and at the top you can see the surrounding people on the bottom level?
unimatrix wrote:
anyone have anyclue how you could have a building with multiple levels, and at the top you can see the surrounding people on the bottom level?

der dragon has done this beautifully, i would ask him. He even has a good use for it!

FIREking

Yes.
In response to Spuzzum
Can you help?
unimatrix wrote:

Oddly enough, this is a similar problem to Tarmas's. You could use create dummy objects to mimic the outside terrain, but in this case there's actually an easier solution unless you don't want people on the ground to see the roof.

The solution here is to create several z levels, with the outside and the roof at z=1. The roof should be surrounded by dense turfs that can't be crossed, but aren't opaque. This means players on the roof can see the ground, and vice versa. The in-between levels can be strictly interior, but are limited in that the players inside can't see out the windows.

If you don't want the roof (or the sniper's level, if it's not the roof) to be visible from the ground, or if you want to be able to look out of windows, you'll have to use dummy objects in which all objs and mobs and turfs visible from outside the tower are duplicated on all its other z levels.

Lummox JR
What you can do is edit the mob's layer if you wish to make it like a spiral staircase and the same levels within the same room, also have it so the floors only appear to the user.
In response to Lummox JR
Hey so then, how would you have it so the players at ground level can see only the entry to the tower. Also with a multi-level tower, I was woundering how you would have it so that the sniper can see through a window yet the people outside can't see in?

All help given will be credited.
In response to unimatrix
unimatrix wrote:
Hey so then, how would you have it so the players at ground level can see only the entry to the tower. Also with a multi-level tower, I was woundering how you would have it so that the sniper can see through a window yet the people outside can't see in?

That's basically exactly how the solution using dummy objects would work. I don't have a library for this yet, but eventually I probably will.

Basically, though, the idea is this: Whenever a mob or obj enters a certain turf, a duplicate is made on other turfs. Any direction change, icon change, overlay change, etc. that's made to any of those objects should be made to the duplicates as well. Unfortunately as you can imagine, this is a fairly complex solution. The code I've been working on is as yet completely untested.

Right now, my code uses special modifications for all movable atoms so that they have a list of dummies (duplicates). Whenever their Move() proc is called, the dummies are destroyed and recreated (unless the atom doesn't move, in which case just the direction of the dummies is updated). To change icon or icon_state, or pretty much anything else affecting appearance, you have to call a function like SetDir(), SetIcon(), SetIconState(), etc. This is so that if you're on level 2 of the tower (for example), you can see outside not only what mobs are moving around out there, but you can see if they turn or if they equip a weapon (if you show that with overlays), and so on. The end result will be very nice if everything works.

Lummox JR