ID:150266

how would i go about making a system that had stamina, agility, and all that stuff and applying it to actually help in game play?
I reccomend you read nadrews leveling system and work off that
I would direct you to it threw here but i dont how
In response to Gouku
ok i look over it
In response to Gouku
nandrews lvlin system only uses hp and exp

now that i think about it i have a way to do it this must of been one waist of a post sorry
In response to Zardar00
That's why you can edit it, but it's a library it's not meant for too much editing so if you screw it up don't come crying to me.
In response to Nadrew
if i screw it up ill just delete it and then dl it agian
In response to Zardar00
Zardar00 wrote:
if i screw it up ill just delete it and then dl it agian

You have to uninstall librarys before you can download them again.
Zardar00 wrote:
how would i go about making a system that had stamina, agility, and all that stuff and applying it to actually help in game play?

I think what you're looking for is a combat system. There are a few of those available, but I don't know how sophisticated they are. Odds are you'll want a more unique system than the ones you can find easily.

One good idea would be to study the BYOND code for combat systems, which should give you a good idea of the mechanics involved, and then search online for formulas you can use to apply stats to battle.

Lummox JR
In response to Nadrew
oh heh i never knew that...
In response to Lummox JR
I'd have to say that Turn Based Battle systems are the hardest to do, especially if you allow movement, like Ogre Battle. The reason is because programming the Monster AI is a massive undertaking for a turn based system.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
I'd have to say that Turn Based Battle systems are the hardest to do, especially if you allow movement, like Ogre Battle. The reason is because programming the Monster AI is a massive undertaking for a turn based system.

On the contrary, this isn't any harder at all. You also don't have to worry about the balance problem of ultra-rapid attacks or requiring players to have lightning-fast reflexes; in a server-based multiplayer environment, this isn't always feasible.

The extent that movement is allowed should be factored into the battle system from the beginning. Some systems may spirit participants away to a battle arena, while others might let them join the fray within the main field of battle. Movement might be used as a way of escaping the battle, or the programmer may want the combatants to remain stationary. This is all a matter of taste and design, but it doesn't really make things any harder. In an RPG, some degree of movement control for the player will be desired anyway in most cases, so adding code to deal with that in a battle context shouldn't make matters significantly more difficult.

In terms of monster AI, which you mentioned, this isn't a lot worse. Movement in battle is an even simpler matter than in normal circumstances, unless one includes difficult terrain or terrain with height considerations that might factor into a battle. Attack choices are no more difficult than in a real-time system. There's really not a lot of difference.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
this isnt like you think

its like turn based. So you have a set of actions.
lets say you have 6 actions

on your turn, you can move 6 spaces, 1 at a time, in any direction, or you can mix it up with picking up items, dropping them, equiping things, using things, casting spells, doint feats, doing skills blah blha.

It all comes down to your action number. Some things take up like 3 actions. When your actions get down to 0, your turn is over, and the next person goes.

when its time for the monster, he cant just rome around randomly, and he cant just walk right up to his victim. I have to make him loop through all the mobs, find the closest one, then start heading in that direction. Ive also got to check his hp so maybe he needs to drink a potion, Also, there are some tricky situations where you end up with one turn left, and you might want to defend, ive got to make monsters do that as well.

its alot more complicated than it looks.

FIREking
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
this isnt like you think

its like turn based. So you have a set of actions.
lets say you have 6 actions

on your turn, you can move 6 spaces, 1 at a time, in any direction, or you can mix it up with picking up items, dropping them, equiping things, using things, casting spells, doint feats, doing skills blah blha.

It all comes down to your action number. Some things take up like 3 actions. When your actions get down to 0, your turn is over, and the next person goes.

when its time for the monster, he cant just rome around randomly, and he cant just walk right up to his victim. I have to make him loop through all the mobs, find the closest one, then start heading in that direction. Ive also got to check his hp so maybe he needs to drink a potion, Also, there are some tricky situations where you end up with one turn left, and you might want to defend, ive got to make monsters do that as well.

its alot more complicated than it looks.

You're referring to the complexities of a particular battle system. However, this system would be no easier in real time; in fact it would be harder. In turn-based play, you have the option of determining choices from the outset--perhaps based on percentages of likelihood, or some crude artificial life formulas as is sometimes done--and can even plan tentative actions for future steps that may be influenced by new choices or let stand. (For example, a decision to go and pick up a knife three tiles away could be a major deciding factor for several turns.)
In real time, decisions are made on the fly, one action at a time. You could still plan out future actions, but without much guarantee of when they'll occur. It's also harder to apply long-term decisions in this kind of environment.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
well, im struggling with it. for some reason i just cant get the ai going the way i want it to. I had a code that found the closest mob, and it took turns walking to it, but on the test, it just stood there saying, "Cant find closest mob!"

i tried and tried to fix it, i had no luck.

but do not worry, i dont need help with it, im sure ill figure it out!
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
well, im struggling with it. for some reason i just cant get the ai going the way i want it to. I had a code that found the closest mob, and it took turns walking to it, but on the test, it just stood there saying, "Cant find closest mob!"

i tried and tried to fix it, i had no luck.

but do not worry, i dont need help with it, im sure ill figure it out!

That problem is independent of whether your battle system is real-time or turn-based. It sounds like the code searching for the closest mob is wrong. That should be easy enough to fix.

Lummox JR