ID:1503646

I used to be addicted in 6th-8th grade, I left and now I'm in college lol. I used to kinda know the language but I was a ripper. I just randomly remembered about BYOND after 6 years, now that I'm older and smarter; Do you think it's possible to actually learn DM language, make a game, and make money off it ?

Is 19 too old for this site ?
I'm 23, and I'm sure there are others that are older.

Anyways, sure it's possible! Just get a solid idea, execute it right, and you may very well make some money.
You can't make money without spending money. You're gonna need advertising funds at the very least.
I'm 22 and I have no intention of leaving anytime soon lol.
BYOND is one of the easiest things in the world to make money from. Regardless of its abilities, it can make games. You just gotta know how to make good ones and one that'll get you a loyal community, to the point where you'll know your top donors/spenders.

You're never too old to make money.
22 and reporting for duty.
I'm 25 and I've made $120 since I joined ten years ago. sound good?
In response to Magicsofa
I'm 26. I spent 3 months making a game that earned me about $30. (Admittedly, one guy offered me like $200 but I turned it down)

If you want to make money with BYOND, you're probably better off just getting a real job. I doubt there has been a single game made with BYOND that has made more money than just getting a job would have.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
I'm 26. I spent 3 months making a game that earned me about $30. (Admittedly, one guy offered me like $200 but I turned it down)

If you want to make money with BYOND, you're probably better off just getting a real job. I doubt there has been a single game made with BYOND that has made more money than just getting a job would have.

There are ways a BYOND developer can make as much money as a minimum wage job would give. But honestly, no one says you can't do both so...
In response to Marc Techie
Marc Techie wrote:
There are ways a BYOND developer can make as much money as a minimum wage job would give. But honestly, no one says you can't do both so...

Sure, there are ways, but has anyone ever done it? Probably not.

There are ways I could in the next hour make so much money I'll never need to work again in my entire life. But it'll never happen.
The Magic Man wrote:
Marc Techie wrote:

Sure, there are ways, but has anyone ever done it? Probably not.

There are ways I could in the next hour make so much money I'll never need to work again in my entire life. But it'll never happen.

Many people younger than anyone here has done it. However, there are 2 community's within BYOND, the gaming community that knows how to get the players attention, and there's the forum community who only chit chat. One of the members I know to do it other than myself is "Winning". Making enough to complain about how his paypal account is limited to only a certain amount of money because he's a minor. Now if you can't make BYOND make more money than a minor, that's on you but I'm confident in my own abilities. A-lot of forum BYONDers are just in the dark and don't know too much of what's going on behind closed doors regardless if they know how to program or write professionally.

Back then when a game hub can just be made and shown things were easier. Since the motivated developers are the gamers themselves who don't look twice at the forums. Easier to find teams to get money in your pocket. Now everyone's using classified ads because those days are over, and classified ads simply suck.
We apologize for trying to make money in legitimate ways only.
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:

There is nothing wrong with trying to make money from BYOND. I'm just saying it's not easy and you shouldn't walk into a project expecting to become rich from it.

As for this guys "friend" who makes so much money a month paypal wont let him withdraw it all (minors can't own paypal accounts unless it's a student account, which can't accept money except from their parents and has a limit of $2000 a month they can spend).
If this game is making $2000+ a month, then where is it? NEStalgia made like $10,000 in the month after it went popular. But it had 300+ people playing it constantly for that month. I think there is 1 game on BYOND right now that gets more than 300 players, and it's not your friends game.

If you think you can make money, go for it. Just don't expect to become rich from it, you'll only face disappointment if you do. It'll probably never happen.
Marc Techie wrote:
Magicsofa wrote:

For sucking at game developing and gathering an audience.*

Pretty sure this was directed at Winning selling edits on a fan-based game. A.k.a. IP Theft. GG.

Vcentg's Bleach has been making money since what... '07? And no one calls him out on it.
Egh, if someone wants to make money from "Yet another" fan-based game. He's doing it wrong.
Making money off of a fangame is illegal. You could get sued out of the ass if you did this.

Realistically, I doubt this'll ever happen because BYOND is just too small to get noticed. But if whoever owns the rights to the fangame you are making wanted to, they could pursue legal action, and you could find yourself with a very hefty fine (we're talking tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars).
Not likely. It'd be what happened with DBZ all over again.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Vcentg's Bleach has been making money since what... '07? And no one calls him out on it.

He's not making $2,000.00+ a month like Murowko and Winning claim Winning is.

FKI wrote:
Not likely. It'd be what happened with DBZ all over again.

Strai/Falacy was directly contacted with a lawsuit if I remember correctly. Considering he was the sole member who was publicly profitting.
I make $2 a year.
Page: 1 2