ID:1506261

starting this series(this topic) to help motivate me to continue my journey into learning byond.

so i will use this to log all my progress, down falls, demotivating times and maybe even my time of feeling pure lazy(im human).

currently
i have a understanding of some basic things, but havent been motivated to go any further.i just read Fugsnarf's Make a stupid game post
and feeling a little more motivated. i have done zials tutorail before and felt the need to continue,but i instead moved to other tutorials.
it wasnt a bad idea but I feel now i should of just continued to expand it and learn more until what i learned stuck and i learn other things.
Im going back and im doing just that. remotivated!
One thing I did that I feel gives me a little bit of a leg up (NOTE: I AM STILL A NOOB) is I went and did codeacademy's javascript series in full. Most won't take the time because "it's not dm though" but I feel it baby-steps you through applying logic into lines of code. Although I did take a BASIC course back in highschool so who knows, maybe BASIC is the secret.

P.s. let me know if you want me to delete this reply if you really only want to use this thread as a log.
no its fine and thats a good idea ill take a look at code academy.
This week I have been reading alot of articles. I have read some things on game design, and some things.I found this game development tutorial by Forum_account and will be beginning that. After that i will start studying Epic's(by YutPut) source and reading on in the blue book(yeah im still not done with it).
In response to JabsPerson
JabsPerson wrote:
This week I have been reading alot of articles. I have read some things on game design, and some things.I found this game development tutorial by Forum_account and will be beginning that. After that i will start studying Epic's(by YutPut) source and reading on in the blue book(yeah im still not done with it).

Epic's source is nice but horribly unorganized. I'm sure there are better around to study off of. Epic also has some major RSC handling issues.
In response to D-Cire
Can you recommend a better source?
None. Learn from trial and error accompanied with the resource repository.
this week my siblings were at home and when we are together i get nothing done. Although i did do some reading in the blue book. i guess all isnt lost.
still reading the blue book not motivated enough to read 5+ chapters at a time. More like 1 maybe 2,but i found out that reading and doing a couple pixel art tutorials help me have a little more fun.
As a person who learned how to program in DM with just a couple months practice and study, I recommend just going through the reference as you're working on things and studying the area of your focus. For example, if you're working with movement, don't just read the procs immediate to what you're doing, go ahead and have a run through of all the movement procs, or at least a handful of them. This way you pick up bits of knowledge all around, and it's not as difficult to move forward because you aren't limited to exactly what you've worked with.

That aside, once you learn all the procs and stuff, you'll undoubtedly get to the level where you just have to learn logical programming, and all I can advise you on there is to find a good teacher and learn some math skills, if you don't feel confident learning it on your own.

I had a good teacher, and he helped me advance my logic skills a good bit past what I was learning by myself.

Good luck.
its been a long time since my last post and 2-3week after that post i put learning byond on break.I have now decided this week/weekend i will start back on my journey.

During that period I have found my love for art again(lost it when I left elementry/middle school years and became a jock on the football team in high school). I have been just doing what I felt like art wise, but I think I would like to learn basics of pixel art and apply it.

I feel I have been lacking discipline after a certain point in life. I wont go in to details but Im trying to get better at at just doing things and procrastinating less.
JabsPerson wrote:
Can you recommend a better source?

youcouldtrylearningfromfeed.
Top quality commit history there.
good look ill check it out sometimes.

okay i was going to try to go in an make a game this week then i saw the release of magikca:wizard wars, and happy wars.

so i prob will only do the planing this week. Still not done with the blue book. I am a hands on person so i know doing will help me learn faster and what better way than to create a game even if its a bad one.
major setback
broken laptop. lost files. so im back to just reading the blue book, and i prob wont do it as much ill end up just focusing on writing this summer till i make the money to buy something new
im prob building a pc have not decided for sure yet. as i have other expenses.

In other news it was all a lie!! I have not been making as much progress as i had been saying. I have done plenty of planing but never started anything(Im probable just demotivated by how hard i think things will be). A spark of motivation to my life has finally killed my laziness and restarted the drive i once had in high school. I plan to pump out little projects between school or work. This fire/spark has driven me to chase the dreams I have. i know dream chasing can get one hurt but oh well im trying.good luck to me hope my fire never dies.

Last note: Where would i post my writing on here i have story ideas from this summer i would like to get opinions on.

You could make another post in Off Topic if you want people to critique your story ideas.

Aside from that, I'm inspired by your enthusiasm to learn. I hope it goes well for you. Oh, and don't worry about your dry spells of laziness. We all have them. I suggest making a practice of being honest about your progress like you were with your last comment - this coming from experience. Don't give up, and keep trying to put your ideas into code.