ID:1507135

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjqubocdgmi8jn3/koala7.exe

I had to design levels for my assignment a few weeks ago in my intro class using GameMaker.

If anyone has 15 min or so to spare or just want to play something, you can give this a shot. It is a simple puzzle game consisting of 3 levels.

Let me know how many tries it took you to complete each level(without cheating), and any comments or questions you might have on this.
First two I completed on the first try, and the third one took me three tries and at the end of the third try I thought I had it all set until I found that the red switch behaved differently from the other switches, so I gave up.
In response to Magicsofa
lol yeah. the last level always gets people.
its like an "omg" moment.

but it is do-able.

thanks for trying :P
My point was that it was challenging in a fun way until I suddenly lost due to something I simply did not know about, and had no way to react to. Surprising a player is good if they have a chance to respond, like a trap that can be escaped or else you take some damage. But in this case, I carefully planned out my actions through the entire level and then finally, I learned it was all for nothing. I only lost out of ignorance, i.e. I didn't know how to play the game.

I'm not saying this is a big deal or anything, but it was the most noticeable flaw to me. Starting over too much will drive players away. If you are gonna have a surprise switch, that behaves differently despite looking the same, then at least put it at the beginning of the level so the player doesn't have to go through all sorts of other shenanigans before realizing what's different...
This was actually a pretty fun game. Felt like an app.
In response to Magicsofa
Yeah I see what you're saying. A lot of the people that I've asked to test this game has had similar reactions, where they get stuck after figuring out the red lever, and they just stop playing.

I was sure the lever types were in the instructions, but I guess regardless of whether it is there or not, it should be introduced earlier.

Thanks for the input!
Yeah...I didn't read the instructions :P

I also may have quit because I knew it was the last level. If there had been another puzzle to solve then I might have been motivated to try again. If you're gonna keep working on this, maybe instead of instructions you could just have a couple of tutorial levels at the beginning?
In response to Magicsofa
I probably wont be working with this game anytime soon, since I just needed it for an assignment. but who knows, I might make more levels later on if I am bored :p

We have a final project that is due sometime in April, so if you're interested to see, I can post my final project submission here in April?
Absolutely...it's pretty cool that you get to use BYOND for school :P
In response to Magicsofa
actually its not BYOND, its using GameMaker lol, thats why I put it in offTopic
epic shun lol
I can't even comprehend how Magicsofa avoided both the term GameMaker in the title, and main post.
Iobject? is that you?
In response to Marc Techie
Marc Techie wrote:
Iobject? is that you?

LMAO that guy I remember him.
ehhhh...yeah...about that...

c'mon guys, I'm an adult, I don't have time to keep track of all these silly threads!