I personally don't care how other people type, that is as long as I can read it. Though on the other hand, i'm OCD; so I have to, "Proof-read" my own text half a dozen times and go over it before I even dare posting. Though I still use slang like, "Whatcha doin'?" instead of, "What are you doing?" for example.

As LILMESSI18 said, it's mainly habitual for me now since I am so used to it. Though at first both my typing and texting were horrendous(Pretty much added the -zors suffix to every noun for some reason). All-in-all, it doesn't really matter. Type however you want man.
back wen i was new 2 the net i LIT used shrtcts for lik evry word cuz i only typed with 1 finger lol

I believe I was 9.
I use "whatcha" and "gonna" and "doin" pretty often, I think.

I think the issue with "your vs. you're" is not so much about shortening, but more that the writer genuinely isn't aware of the difference. That is a problem.

I've typed enough to habitually type properly. I type a lot faster than anyone I've ever seen type, too. Decent grammar isn't hard, either. I don't type in particularly abbreviated form because it would actually take me longer to do so.

I think the most messed up grammar rules are:
you're, your:
Your bad grammar simply means you're a poop.

who, whom:
"who" starts a question with an answer expected to be "he" or "she"
"whom" starts a question with an answer expected to be "him" or "her"

there, their, they're:
They're over there eating their food.

its, it's:
Grammar. It's not too hard to learn its rules.

who vs. that:
He's the guy that who does the thing

I often break the rule about not putting prepositions at the end of the sentence they're used in. (that wasn't necessary, just a demonstration)

I think being aware of the rules makes reading on the internet a lot more tedious than it has to be. Ignorance is bliss, in that respect. However, miscommunication due to bad grammar (or in general) can lead to more silly arguments, which the internet doesn't really need any more of.
wat if i just wanted to post something quickly without doing all that
English sucks.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
I use "whatcha" and "gonna" and "doin" pretty often, I think.

I think the issue with "your vs. you're" is not so much about shortening, but more that the writer genuinely isn't aware of the difference. That is a problem.

I've typed enough to habitually type properly. I type a lot faster than anyone I've ever seen type, too. Decent grammar isn't hard, either. I don't type in particularly abbreviated form because it would actually take me longer to do so.

I think the most messed up grammar rules are:
you're, your:
Your bad grammar simply means you're a poop.

who, whom:
"who" starts a question with an answer expected to be "he" or "she"
"whom" starts a question with an answer expected to be "him" or "her"

there, their, they're:
They're over there eating their food.

its, it's:
Grammar. It's not too hard to learn its rules.

who vs. that:
He's the guy that who does the thing

I often break the rule about not putting prepositions at the end of the sentence they're used in. (that wasn't necessary, just a demonstration)

I think being aware of the rules makes reading on the internet a lot more tedious than it has to be. Ignorance is bliss, in that respect. However, miscommunication due to bad grammar (or in general) can lead to more silly arguments, which the internet doesn't really need any more of.

The most recent one I had to debate someone about today was

these, those:
These right next to me are better than those that are far away.

These is referencing to a close object. Those is referencing to an object far away. Surprisingly enough, I picked this up when I was young without even noticing it. I've always used these two words this way subconsciously. However, some people don't seem to get the difference and use them as they please.

I'm a big grammar nazi when I'm bothered about my grammar. :) More of a cocky aspect about me. I get this sadistic pleasure from correcting people repeatedly after they've started the war.
Some of these rules are totally arbitrary :) Well, I suppose all rules of language are, but things like "these/those" or "less/fewer" have such minimal impact on understanding.

Did you know that you are supposed to say "fewer" for discreetly countable things? For example, you would say "Fewer cars, less traffic." You are not supposed to say "less cars" or "fewer traffic" but does it really matter? OK fewer traffic sounds pretty weird, but less cars doesn't sound too bad to me. What about the express line - they should have a sign that says "Ten items or fewer" but sometimes it says "Ten items or less." Who cares?
When I first started using the internet, I mainly talked to friends over Yahoo Messenger, and it was all shorthand/local slang. It wasn't until I started talking to people from around the world that I sorted out my spelling and grammar. I don't tend to get too fussy over minor errors when just talking to people of forums and such.

Proper spelling and grammar is just a good habit to get into though, I don't see any reason not to do so.
I hate when people insist on putting a comma before adverbs(e.g. too, though, also, etc) in the middle or at the end of every sentence they write as if it were a rule. Either way(with or without the comma) is perfectly fine - the comma just changes the mood or places more emphasis on the sentence. Take for example what Kaiochao said: "Decent grammar isn't hard, either."

"Decent grammar isn't hard either" would be just as fine, though the comma before 'either' just indicates a pause and/or a change of thought. There's no right or wrong way.
Page: 1 2