Space Station 13

by Exadv1
Space Station 13
Stay alive inside Space Station 13
ID:1512132

I love this game, once you learn how to do each job it becomes really fun. I like secret mode but extended appeals to me more especially when you have competent people doing their jobs. The main problem I have found is that the admins are overly strict and aren't willing to let the players police themselves. It really should be up to the captain to do what he wants so long as the crew doesn't complain.

For example, on one server I am not going to name I was playing as the Captain and I think I did a fairly good job because nothing terrible happened besides a few slimes escaping their pens. A few of the crew members expressed interest in turning the bar into a strip club, which is silly and dumb but hey I don't care, so I said that I would send a fax to CC if they got signatures on a petition. Some asshole with access to a fax sent CC a message saying I was trying to legalize prostitution or some shit so I told the command staff that they needed to get my approval before sending faxes. So then I get a message from CC saying there are weird faxes being sent to them so they are sending an IA agent (who was basically an Admin PC played by the Host). The IA agent basically meets me in my office and bitches at me for apparently banning my staff from using the fax machine (which I didn't do) and the whole time I'm pointing out that this isn't against the Standard Operating Procedure(which not following can get you BANNED and isnt linked anywhere in the rules and only vaguely mentioned and counted as "bad roleplaying") they basically keep saying I can't do it. So they basically as far as I knew made up a rule, which I said was fine and that I will follow it but they should tell me of any rule changes if they want me to follow them. They got pissed off that I kept pointing this out and started looking for ways to fuck with me IC (like saying I was insulting authority and stuff like that) and they eventually got me on the fact that I was carrying a gun on my belt (carrying a gun during green threat level isn't allowed for CREW members, I mistakenly assumed this didn't apply to the captain since there were SOP for crew and security but nothing else). I was then arrested, jailed, and demoted to Assistant. The demotion was ridiculous but not quite OOC but I was arrested without breaking any Space Laws. I then proceeded to talk to an admin about wtf was going on. I told him none of the shit about the strip club was part of SOP or the server Rules and he then told me that it was actually on the Wiki page for paperwork, which isn't linked on the job guide for captain (nor is the SOP). I told him it was bullshit that I was punished for basically not scouring the wiki for all relevant information and he basically told me to read the entire wiki before playing the game. At this point I quit playing extended.

I have had similar experiences on other extended servers (though not to this extreme) and I'm wondering if there are any reasonably populated extended servers or if I am better off just waiting for this game mode to pop up in secret on a server not run by idiot control freaks?

Has anyone had similar experiences?
Come join Sulaco Station 13 New Server friendly staff, medium rp, 24/7 you'll love it!
I play on Hypatia Station which has, generally, pretty decent admins on staff. However, I recently had an incident in an extended roleplay where they essentially fired the entire security staff because we reviewed a new arrival's security record, essentially perma-killing our characters. That SUCKED!

However, we talked it over with other admins, had it appealed, and it was resolved positively.

Issues regarding SOP get out of control too often especially in grey areas that are not really clear and you can argue both points and sides. You'd honestly need to take it into an ingame court and have an actual judicial review.

I like to look at SOP as a very strict guideline and not space law. However, thats not to say violating SOP can't result in personnel issues and dereliction of duty... but thats about 5 minutes at most.