ID:1512175

Resolved
Secondary map controls didn't update after they were cleared in some cases.
BYOND Version:504
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 27.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
In a situation where a screen object is set to display in a specific map control and then is removed from that control leaving no remaining objects for display in that control, the last visible image is left burned into that control rather than reverting to a blank display.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1: Set up a project with two different map controls. Lets say map1 and map2 where map1 is the default map. In my encounter, each is bound to its own window anchored to fill and fully empty.

2: Place an object with an icon into map2, thus:
object.screen_loc="map2:1,1"

3: Remove the object from map2, thus:
object.screen_loc="1,1"

Expected Results:
The object is removed from the map2 control and is refreshed to a blank black screen.

Actual Results:
The object's icon remains burned into the map2 control, and becomes deformed in rather unpredictable manners if the control is rescaled.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When there is a remaining screen object left in the map2 control after removing the object.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Untested.

Workarounds:
Always leave at least one remaining screen object in the map control.
I haven't been able to verify this. I tried this in my test project and it worked just fine--in both software and hardware rendering modes. Do you have a test project that reproduces this?
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
Here's a link to a project I put together that has the same-ish issue. It seems different skin setups result in different methods of encountering the glitch.

Included are 3 screen shots of my using this exact project on my windows 7 home premium computer.

Oddly while I was playing around with it, the issue did not occour if the view size was set to 1.

http://puu.sh/7mQHC.zip
Just run the project, and use the menu to move the screen object between one map and the other.
I've actually been experiencing this a lot myself, and not just empty map controls, main map controls with stuff going on. I'll be playing a game and suddenly my map is no longer refreshing, chat output occurs, I can enter commands, and people tell me I'm moving around properly (not that I can see).

If the map control is changed in any way (in Eternia's case resizing it causes the view port to expand), it'll turn to a black empty box. Reconnecting to the game without closing Dream Seeker doesn't fix things (it'll come back as an empty map control), but closing it and opening a new instance works.

I've noticed it on both the stable (504.1234) and current beta (506.1237).

Started happening on Eternia shortly after they started using map-threading enabled builds, and was happening on NEStalgia when they had map threads enabled, but didn't happen once after NEStalgia went back to unthreaded. So I have a feeling map threading on the server is the cause here.
Nevermind, not map threading. It's happening in NEStalgia without threading enabled, quite often it seems. In every version between stable and now. Nothing on my system has changed since before I started noticing this.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Secondary map controls didn't update after they were cleared in some cases.