In what context would you need position to be that accurate, especially in a BYOND game?
In response to Gunbuddy13
1. When things move in more than the standard 8 directions.
Moving one "pixel" at 30 degrees means you have an offset of (cos(30), sin(30)), which is (0.866..., 0.5), which rounds to (1, 1). It improves as you go faster, but really you shouldn't be forced to go faster when you're actually moving slowly.

2. When you want things to move slowly. The slowest you can move currently is one pixel per tick. At a framerate of 10FPS, the slowest you can move is 10 pixels per second. At a framerate of 30FPS, he slowest you can move is 30 pixels per second; still one pixel per tick. With decimal pixels, you can move less than a pixel per tick.

Both of these are important factors for top-down racing games, space games (ship movement), shooter games (laser-projectiles and even side-view Pocket Tanks-style), and more. Coincidentally, the games I just mentioned also require efficient object rotation.
Gunbuddy13 wrote:
how would you conceivably display a move of "half a pixel"?

Supersampling might help here. Maybe even MSAA, not fully sure how it works.

Usually it'll just cut off one half from one or the other side, maybe both, maybe none. It'll be too little to notice anything. Graphics cards handle this stuff better than Dream Seeker does.
You can just keep track of "partial" pixel steps manually, then move the full pixel when all the partials total more than 1. That's the only alternative I can think of.
That's already been established by Forum_account's "accumulating fractional parts." It's already in use by his Pixel Movement/Sidescroller libraries.

So, after halfway through the first page of this thread, you can consider the topic to be "simpler way than that."
I actually got around to doubling the icon size in a project and found it to be pretty awesome. I was using tile based movement so now gliding resolution doubled (there's twice as many pixels to glide across which means gliding can be smoother, and slower, or faster). At higher FPS, this looks really great, almost like that of a AAA 2D title.
In response to FIREking
Twice as many pixels to traverse only means twice as many movement calculations in a given time. The really cool thing to do (which also fits BYOND's style better IMO) is to use 16x16, like in WARFORGE, CazHaz, Casual Quest, etc. because although you need a large view size, the heavily-repeated calculations are cut in half.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
Twice as many pixels to traverse only means twice as many movement calculations in a given time. The really cool thing to do (which also fits BYOND's style better IMO) is to use 16x16, like in WARFORGE, CazHaz, Casual Quest, etc. because although you need a large view size, the heavily-repeated calculations are cut in half.

How is it twice as many movement calculations? You're just making all the graphics bigger, and the glide_size is doing the rest of the work (no extra traffic).

Edit: A 128x128 map is still a 128x128 map. There's only 16384 positions to occupy. Gliding is the transition between these positions at no extra cost to the server or client as they can both hold up their end of the bargain without using bandwidth to do so. Less calculation stress for the server by not having to keep track of pixels and calculations of those pixels per movable atom.
In response to FIREking
This entire topic is about efficient, accurate pixel movement.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
1. When things move in more than the standard 8 directions.
2. When you want things to move slowly.

I don't think these are good reasons for fractional pixel movement. #2 is just ridiculous, as others have said you can only display single pixel movement as the slowest movement. Only anti-aliasing could get around that, and at that point is it really worth it? How slow is this freakin' game?! And for #1, again you can only display things on the grid so your trig will have to be rounded.

The only way that fractional pixel movement would have any affect on your game beyond cosmetics is if it was used for precise collision detection. To which I must ask, what really is the point? Your players will not be able to tell the difference, except they might see that it looks like things should be colliding when they are not.
In response to Magicsofa
You're completely missing the point and your arguments are the exact opposite of intuitive. Thanks for making me repeat myself again, I think I'm getting better at summarizing it each time:

#2 is just ridiculous, as others have said you can only display single pixel movement as the slowest movement.
The slowest you can go per frame is obviously one pixel. At high framerates, this can get very fast and you would have to do something like "move once every 2 ticks" instead of the intuitive "move 0.5 units every tick."

Only anti-aliasing could get around that
Most importantly, this is not about displaying sub-pixel movements. This is about the math behind the scenes, and it has nothing to do with appearance.

And for #1, again you can only display things on the grid so your trig will have to be rounded.
Complete nonsense.

The only way that fractional pixel movement would have any affect on your game beyond cosmetics is if it was used for precise collision detection. To which I must ask, what really is the point? Your players will not be able to tell the difference, except they might see that it looks like things should be colliding when they are not.
Also completely irrelevant.
Wouldn't you just store your own values, and then do your own rounding and set step_x and step_y your self? Even if you were programming your own game from scratch in c, at some point along the pipe line, your pixel value is going to be a pixel value on the screen. Byond allows you to directly set where these values lie (pixel_x, step_x) so in conclusion, you'd make all the floating point accurate math happen your self, and then supply a rounded version of the value to byond.

If your request is to have this be "built-in", I am going to burst your bubble and say they probably won't do that unless it has some sort of useful meaning. For example, if the rendering was done with quads in open gl, then yeah, it would make sense to expose those values to the programmer. But since everything works on a fixed integer system (because all display screens do), you're not going to get a deeper more meaningful value between 0 and 1. It doesn't make sense.

So really, your goal is to have a more accurate input while not caring about the output... so why don't you just handle the input your self, and round to the output?
In response to FIREking
This technique (a tried and true workaround) is discussed by Forum_account on the first page of this thread, and I've had much success with it.

The thread, however, is about whether or not that is the "simplest way," and how ideally, BYOND should have implemented "smooth" movement with smooth (non-rounded) values from the beginning.

Also, there's no smooth, collision-detecting shifts when moving from one rounded point to another.
That's what my translate() request is for.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
This is about the math behind the scenes, and it has nothing to do with appearance.

You don't have to repeat yourself. I certainly won't. I'm just wondering when fractional pixel movement, which apparently won't even be displayed to the player, is actually necessary to make a game work well.
In response to Magicsofa
One simple example is a car that can drive in any direction from 0 to 360 degrees.
//  The car's going 1 unit per frame at 29 degrees.
velocity = <0.875, 0.485>
rounded velocity = <1, 0>

// At 30 frames per second, how have we moved in 1 second?
theoretical = <26.2, 14.5>
actual = <30, 0>

After a few seconds, you might notice you're not going north at all.
If you turn left one degree (to 30 degrees), you'll be moving directly northeast (unless BYOND floors instead of rounds, then it would be much worse).
But if you -really- need your car to move that slowly, why not accumulate the fractions as has already been suggested?
Or, you could change the scale. Why not move 9 pixels north and 5 pixels east each tic? Your server will certainly be happy about that :)
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
But if you -really- need your car to move that slowly, why not accumulate the fractions as has already been suggested?
I do. That's the currently-established "simplest way." See comment #24.
I do not know why this thread has been brought back up with no new information or methods.
Oh sorry about that, these forums move at the speed of a gimped turtle. I'm always starved for something to reply to here...
Page: 1 2