ID:151318

Is it possible to get away with making an intro to a game with BYOND? Full motion or even slideshow style?
Should be in Dev How-to imo. The short answer to your question is yes
In response to Lugia319
Oh. All right, thanks for answering.
You can embed a flash video in a browser control.
I haven't done this yet with my project, but I plan to. My strategy will be to:

- Not place the mob on the map until the intro sequence is done.
- As part of the state variable, keep track of where the player is with regard to the intro sequence.
- Display all intro stuff via the client screen (the same way I already handle menus).

Although I haven't done this yet, I can't imagine any reason it wouldn't work.
In response to Forum_account
Yeah, I thought about doing that before as well.
In response to Pepper2000
Keep in mind that as long as you have a map included in the project, the mob will be added to the map, at coordinates 1,1,1 unless otherwise defined.
In response to Albro1
Since this happens in the parent call of mob/Login(), it can follow something like this:
mob/Login()
videoIntro()
..()
In response to DivineTraveller
Wow. Good idea. Thanks.
In response to Albro1
Ah yes, you are correct. I've been setting my mob location to null and using map and battle avatars instead, so I forgot about that.

But my idea works if amended to set the player's location to null at the start.
In response to Pepper2000
Just outta curiosity, wouldn't it be easier to just have a window popup with the images and buttons you desire? That way (if you have an edited skin) you can hide the stat tabs and output (if they exist)
In response to Lugia319
It would be easier, but I want to keep the same feel all throughout, including on the loading menus. And with my state system already in place, it doesn't take much effort to add to it.