ID:151487

I'm wondering how to handle a player that goes behind a big object. In my game, trees are very big and in forests, they cover up most of the map. I am thinking of a way to let the player know where they are so that they do not get lost. I came up with two ways but they have their pros and cons and I have no idea how to properly implement either.

One way would be to make the player a shadow when behind the object. With that, you'd be able to see your location but would be unable to see other items and/or enemies.

The second way would be to make the object transparent when the player is under it. With that the player can see his location and see other items and enemies in the way. I actually think this would be the best idea but I'd like your opinion on it and how you think it is best to implement. Thank you.
id go with the transparent when under it option that you mentioned. simply because if as you said there will be large amounts of forest areas so if there is forms of pvp and what not finding players would be increasingly hard. atleast with a transparent when under option they would have a chance to find you.

In response to Midgetbuster
Well this game is single-player but I am also leaning towards this option.
In response to DisturbedSixx
Then yeah you might aswell. gives more feeling
Perhaps you could add an overlay of the icon's outline to the player. This overlay would have a higher "layer" variable than the trees which means it would show on top of the trees.

A similar system was used in Age of Empires 1 & 2. I don't know about 3+.

I don't know if it would suit your game but it is always an option.