ID:1514950

Guys I had applied for Computer Animation program at Ringling College of Art and Design and the result has come today. Although I was not accepted in the Computer Animation program but they have given me options to choose Illustration, Motion Design and Game Art and Design.

I have cut down Motion Design and Game Art and Design as I have no interest in them. And now comes a challenging question: Which one should I choose? I can get accepted into illustration right now or reapply for Computer Animation next year. But what is frustrating me right now is if I should fill form for Illustration or not. I like illustration as most of the time I am making still characters but I also like animating things and as I am not accepted into Animation right now I think my mind is getting much more into Animation atm; I feel like I love animation and want to get into it but that might just be an illusion.

I know it might be hard for you to answer as it's purely depends on my interests but please help me by judging my artwork so far and letting me know which would be best for me! Answer ASAP please!
Don't major in a liberal arts degree. Minor in it, get your major in a science. (Or better yet, double-major!) You'll be more marketable, and on top of that, your liberal art degree will depend on a portfolio of work in the first place, so use your time while going through college to build a body of work, and NETWORK WITH PEOPLE.

A liberal arts field might be where you want to go, but a degree in liberal arts can wind up doing more harm than good. Especially in an economy that's saturated with college graduates to the point where today's Bachelor's of Science degree is as good as a high school diploma was back in the 80s.

A Master's degree is essential for you to be competitive in the job market these days, and for Millennials, college debt is going to be a major issue. We're facing a very real financial crisis right now in the west that's threatening to upend our entire economic paradigm. Canada and the US are struggling under the weight of a populace that's simultaneously unable to compete economically due to lack of education, and also unable to pay off the debt that they took on to get their education. These are things you need to think about getting ready to go to college: Where the world is going to be in 10 years.

India is going to get hit very hard by the west hitting a new financial crisis, and China is going to become a major competitor with Indian companies in microtechnology. Just because the student loan problem is a western problem doesn't mean it's not going to affect Asia.

As for avoiding student debt, there's a really good way to do that. Spend two years at a community college, getting your gen-ed courses out of the way. Do your English, Math, and Humanities electives out of the way, and your science labs. Then transfer to a 4 year college. You'll save around $20,000, and get a much broader exposure to different kinds of people doing it this way.

Anyway, whatever you choose to do, I hope you enjoy it. (Remember, a degree doesn't ensure success. It's the people you meet, and the skills you use along the way.)
That might be the greatest reply I've seen in a forum. The helpfulness was off the charts. Awesome, good job Ter.
I really don't get major and minors very well, it doesn't work that way in our country. Anyways, all the schools and colleges that I have searched, all of them give a degree as you learn and improve there. Also Ringling itself is one of the most popular colleges in USA in terms of Art field and I have heard that even it's name in your resume or portfolio will get you great jobs. So it feels like a good decision to me. Plus I am really excited to go there.

And yeah I am choosing Ringling because the student work and amount of people applying there and their quality of work is fucking awesome and I am damn sure that like many Alumni I will be great as well.

I am determined to go there but confused whether to choose Illustration or Computer Animation. I like Computer Animation more than Illustration but I am kinda afraid as one year is a long period. Moreover I am not sure if this city(or India in general) will be able to prepare me for the tough competition as all people care about here is Science field and now Technology. Other subjects are considered of low value here and considered as subjects for losers... Art field hasnt improved a lot here, I guess.
A2J2TIWARI wrote:
all people care about here is Science field and now Technology. Other subjects are considered of low value here and considered as subjects for losers

That's the entire world, really. Not just India.

A2J2TIWARI wrote:
I have heard that even it's name in your resume or portfolio will get you great jobs.

The above is a very worrisome statement. Pretty much all of your college experience will be time spent doing not a lot in between valuable networking opportunities. The reason that Harvard and Berkley and MIT are great colleges? Because the Alumni open doors for those who are studying at those places. Networking is the most important thing you can do in college.

In my field, Comp. Sci, if you haven't had an internship by the time you are in your third year, you aren't going to find a job worth your rate. Period. No matter what college you went to, and no matter how good you are. If you don't have at least 2 years of work experience, and a good phone book of influential contacts in the industry, you are pretty much going to be limited to answering phones and typing ipconfig /renew into command prompt for $17 an hour.

But again, just cautionary advice from someone who has seen a fair bit more of the world, and who has been on the up and down side of life a fair few times. Take it or leave it.
I respect your advice and I have tried to follow it almost every time. However this time what you are trying to say; do you want to say that I should not join Art College or do you mean to say that if I do go there I should focus on building contacts?
As someone who is finishing a business degree in the next two months let me tell you Ter is so spot on you haven't a clue at the moment.

When I first started my two years of community college I was working at a drug store. All my immediate supervisors went to graphic design/art schools and were now in there 40s still working there for just over minimum wage. Let that sink in.

Ter is also spot on that college is more so about networking than most things. I have met enough people and presenters that I now have an envelope of business cards of people I can reach out to in a spectrum of career opportunities. Does it mean I will instantly get a job? No, but humans like the known and if they have met you they know more about you than a random resume on the desk.

Also every college/university should have major/minors but if not you can always choose a more career oriented degree and take art classes on the side even if it doesn't give you a paper at the end saying "Congrat you can do art now".
KickingKangaroo wrote:
"Congrat you can art now"

FTFY.

@A2J2: I'm not saying don't pursue art, or don't go to art college... I'm just saying you might think about going to a college that offers a respectable Liberal Arts program as well as a respectable science program.

Also... If it were me, I'd rather go to college in North Korea than Florida. Just a personal bias that you shouldn't take too seriously.

In addition: I'd like to chip into KK's comment about liberal arts grads. While yes, you can get good jobs with a LA degree (it's not impossible), my girlfriend majored in music from a very respected college on the East Coast.

I have a high school diploma, six years' military experience, and a useless Associate's degree in Asian studies, alongside some random communications dominance, digital and physical security, cryptography and linguistics qualifications. I make about three times what she does, and technically speaking, she's better qualified than I am.

As a matter of fact, the last time I made as little as she does, was when I was 15, working in a glass-blowing shop.
In response to Ter13
Bravo. :P
Damn you are making me very nervous now.. I don't know what to do but I guess I'll consider your comments and also listen to my guts. Also the idea of having more degrees will help, surely. Bah so confused!
If I may unhinge Ter's silver spoon for a moment, I don't think it's fair to compare the outstanding opportunities in your early working career to that of everyone else. I personally, can't find a decent job around my town much more than running a cash register or flipping burgers. I'm actually quite lucky my ex-boyfriend hired me as a developer for his small business.

I have my own opinions about college and it's usefulness in the Computer Science industry, but I'll keep them to myself.

In your field, however, you have to know people to get a job. Whether that be through college or some other means. In the end, don't be afraid to get a degree in whatever makes you happy. Jobs are not as barren as they may seem. You just have to look.
In response to Solomn Architect
Solomn Architect wrote:
If I may unhinge Ter's silver spoon

Shots fired.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Shots fired.

Lol, hardly, but if what you say is the truth, you can't deny that you did have very good opportunities growing up.
I had a few jobs growing up, grocery store work, warehouse work, lawncare (paid really, really well if you were willing to work hard, long hours in the sun.), and I even did some construction work before one of the Lithuanian guys I worked lawncare with had socked away enough money to start a glassblowing business. I apprenticed under him, and managed inventory, shipping, receiving, etc. Pay was great, and it wasn't something that I could tell you really how to get into. It just happened.

Yeah, I won't disagree that I had some unusual opportunities, but the job market when I was a teenager was during a huge economic boom in the US. It's a totally different landscape today.

I've never asked for more than I've earned, though. Since I've been on my own, I've never asked my family to help me pay for anything. I bought my own cars, I found my own places to live, I managed my own taxes and finances, and I have paid for college on my own/with military stiped. I only applied for unemployment once it got so bad for me that I was going to wind up homeless. And you know, I really did try to make a career on my own merits without a degree. It just wound up being "overqualified", or "you need a degree", or "work yourself to death doing menial tasks well beneath your abilities". So yeah, I chose to go to college and work on programming commissions instead.

But at the end of the day, the best opportunities I've had were afforded to me because I test in the 98th percentile in every category the military tests for, and I had a clean bill of health. The military's given me a nice life, if you don't count the PTSD and other maladies.

But that said, my girlfriend shouldn't be getting paid as little as she is. She's a college grad making roughly 21K a year working for the city. Had she taken out student loans, she'd be homeless. I don't doubt if she had a communications or poly-sci degree, she'd be making 35K or more right now.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

or poly-sci degree, she'd be making 35K or more right now.

One of my jobs was working for an apartment complex and when we opened a new part-time position for a just over minimum wage leasing agent 10/13 of the resumes were from people with poly-sci degrees. Food for thought.

Ter13 wrote:

Also... If it were me, I'd rather go to college in North Korea than Florida.

Can I ask why? There are a few very decent schools in Florida as far as public USA schools go.
http://www.reddit.com/r/floridaman

It's a cointoss between Florida, Louisiana, and Alabama which state is the arsehole of the country.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/floridaman

You are just jumping on a bandwagon that begun after the Bush election "hanging chad" incident. It was a cheap humor ploy used by day-time talk show hosts and night comedians with no better material.

That whole floridaman thing can also be done for almost any state and you also have to adjust for the fact that Florida has one of the largest populations in the USA which means statistically there is a higher chance for weird/stupid things to happen.

Overall unless it was a joke that surely is a sad way to eliminate a lot of quality schools.

It's a cointoss between Florida, Louisiana, and Alabama which state is the arsehole of the country.

...or maybe some bigotry towards the southern states?
To be fair, I live in this south and it's no shining gem, I can say that for an absolute fact.
This was a PM, but since we're derailed enough as is...

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/ murder-rates-nationally-and-state
http://www.usnews.com/education/high-schools/articles/2013/ 04/22/how-states-compare-in-the-2013-best-high-schools-ranki ngs
http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/infant-death-rate/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List_of_U.S._states_by_incarceration_rate
http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/11/21/ e-best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-a-survey-of-all-50-2/ 5/
http://online.wsj.com/news/interactive/ HEALTHCOST0409F20130409?ref=SB100014241278873238843045783281 73966380066

Said three states do a fair enough job discriminating against themselves.

I have better reasons, but like I said, it's a personal bias against the mainstream cultures of those three states, and how their legislatures treat their citizens.

Statistics-wise, Florida is in the bottom 10 states in the country when you consider lifestyle accommodation factors, Louisiana and Alabama are neck & neck for being the worst states in the country easily.

Also, for someone like me, being an atheist, genderqueer and pansexual... Said three states are pretty much areas I would not be fond of living in. Especially given the outcomes of my visits to those states in particular.

For A2J2? He's Indian. I don't think the casual racism against Arabs, Persians, and Indians in those areas will go unnoticed.
In response to Solomn Architect
Solomn Architect wrote:
To be fair, I live in this south and it's no shining gem, I can say that for an absolute fact.

Is any place a shining gem? If so why don't you live there. Every place has its pros and cons. All I am asking is be rational if you are going to give college advice to someone else. If you want to use your own bias and opinions to make your decision that is entirely up to you.

As far as Ter13's pm goes keep in mind this is conversation about college not overall problems of a state, I hadn't realize infant mortality influences the education you receive at a college.

And as far as the racist/bigotry you are implying I have lived in North and South Florida and yes there is racist/bigots but you know what? I have also met racists/bigots in every other state I have been in. You know what you can do to fix that? Don't be scared to make others accept your right to live where you want. If you just promote your community to stay away from an area you are just allowing yourself to be removed from a place you should rightfully be allowed to be. You are also promoting such a hateful community to grow as they don't have outside influence.

Page: 1 2 3