ID:1515584

Interesting, thanks! We can probably start including more recent versions then, but I'll have to check with them.
Sorry for being "that type of guy", buut..

What is this, and what will this mean for BYOND?
FMOD is a proprietary sound library for applications. It has a lot of features involving playing various sound formats.

Previously, the version of FMOD that BYOND used didn't allow for a lot of things, like MP3 usage. I'm unsure of the details of what the new license will allow, so I'll avoid talking about it too in-depth, and leave that up to Tom once he finds out more from their licensing department.
Mp3 works fine in the current fmod, but it's a licensed format so we can't "support" it in good faith (same reason why the flash foo couldn't use their built in mp3 format). It's unclear how this works from a legal standpoint, but I think streaming mp3 to an unlicensed client is a no no so we try to avoid it.
If you could also look into if this newer version would properly allow you to set up URL streamed audio... Yeah that'd be greeeeeeat
According to this handy site on mp3 licensing:
http://mp3licensing.com/help/

No license is required for annual revenue <$100k (is that the same thing as FMOD's <$100k budget rule?). Also, is this limit on BYOND or on individual developers?
It's very ambiguous since technically our client is free, but we do make revenue from BYOND (and if a game were to make $100K, then that would really complicate things). I think it's safer to just stick with non-proprietary formats such as Ogg, since it's trivial to convert files anyway.
New FMOD would mean we could have Ogg Opus, which is awesome.
Really really want to have the ability to have OGG music and OGG sound effects, but only have the sound effects affected by reverb WITHOUT having to use the EAX hardware requirement for .echo
Going to ask this again; if FMOD *were* updatable, would this make it possible to swap out the old EAX extensions for EFX (i.e. the same thing, but actually supported on most modern audio cards)
I think that would require binding OpenAL, Topkasa, which is what Creative themselves suggest for modern EFX usage, rather than EAX, which even the creators (Creative) have abandoned.