ID:1516039

I don't know anything about lametops, I never been a fan of them, but I'm going to need a portable computer this summer because I can't lug Big Daddy around with me everywhere I go, so I need someone experienced with lametops to let me know which lametops are least lame.

I don't need it for gaming, but it does need to run Vegas Pro and Photoshop. And Windows 7, ain't nobody got time for 8. Would this piece of crap do the job or does anyone have anything bad to say about Dell lametops?
Just make absolutely certain the Ghz on the processor isn't 1.3 cause damn that's lame. Go for 2.4 or more Ghz and more than likely the lappop wont be slow and lame.
That's a single-core processor, at that. I didn't think those still existed in new systems, definitely not worth the money.
I've had a couple of laptops at similar quality and have always been disappointed at their power.

With what I know now (which isn't much more but still learning), most likely cause was the processor speed wasn't up to par. This is going to be the problem most of the time, and it is one that'll take buying a new computer to fix. Just as important as processor speed, you want to get a more advanced architecture if possible (the one you posted is comparable to an i3 - others include i5 and i7, increasing in number generally considered better) and higher cache size.

As far as the games go, according to this website:
http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/ index.php?pid=1920&pid2=1882&compare=pentium-dual-core-2127u -1-9ghz-vs-core-i5-4200u-1-6ghz

You'll be able to get a medium performance on Vegas Pro, and will be able to run Photoshop also - though I would think that you'll still see frustration while multitasking with it.
Yeah I think I'm just going to avoid Dell altogether.
Currently eyeballing the HP Envy Sleekbook. I mean just look at it: . Do you realize how many phone numbers I'd get if I whipped this bad sucker out in public?

Only issue is, it comes with Windows Horrible installed and I might be too lazy to install 7 over it.
Get a Mac, their superior in every way.
they're*

As far as Mac goes, what they've got going for them is the equipment. I would suggest erasing the hard drive and installing Windows - though at the price of a Mac book, you might as well just purchase a higher end laptop that'll give you more bang for your buck.

I think I would be debating on this (which now I think I am)
http://www.amazon.com/ Pavilion-17-3-Laptop-Computer-Quad-Core/dp/B00F7TQ3Z0/ ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top - it's not as 'Sleek' as the Sleekbook, but it clocks at about 2.1 Ghz and is quad core. Ram is a little low, but can be expanded by the looks of it.
Thanks for correcting me! I think I know why you have a star under you now.
I'd say get a Mac. Reason being Final Cut Pro (way better then Sony Vegas.) And that's really it coming from a videographer lol.

But I'm interested in what you use vegas and photoshop for? Because I use the same programs. Though I moved to Final Cut Pro.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
get a Mac.

hahaha no

I assume he'd like to eat, as well as buy a laptop.

What's your price range?
Macs are pretty good computers if your using it business wise and not as much for entertainment.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Macs are pretty good computers if your using it business wise and not as much for entertainment.

I have only heard the opposite of this. The only time I have heard a PC being recommended for the entertainment spectrum is for high end games/games the don't come in Mac versions.
Don't let Windows 8 deter you. There are programs that let you boot to desktop, have a start menu identical to other Windows versions, and disable the weird hot corners. I usually forget I'm even using Windows 8 at all when I'm on my Win8 laptop these days because it's functionally exactly the same as my Windows 7 machines. Not trying to defend Windows or anything because it's bull that you have to rely on third party developers to make an OS work for you. But it is do-able.

Also don't get anything with a crappy low end AMD processor. They're the cheapest on the market but so not worth it. My parents got me an HP laptop last year for Christmas to replace my dying 2005 Compaq and it's a good sized laptop with a sleek looking case, but with an AMD E-300 processor that's pretty much for low end netbooks. It's only barely more powerful than the 1.4 GHz pentium 4 machine that it's replacing. :P
I'd get a Mac but don't feel like learning a new OS. During the summer I'm only going to have 3 months to do what I need to do, I don't need to be spending the first week or two just getting used to the OS.

Stephen001 wrote:
What's your price range?

Don't want to spend much over $600.

Ganite wrote:
But I'm interested in what you use vegas and photoshop for?

Game development.