ID:1516230

The Hub: http://www.byond.com/games/CMOS_95/RealmsTXT (Dev Logs)

What am I talking about?

Hi. So I'm working on a textual MUD at the moment which I think is pretty unique. I wanted to take the time to describe how it's going to work and link you to the developer logs if you'd like to read them over as I progress.

The Game

It's called Realms TXT. Basically it's MUD [Multi-User Dungeon] whereby players create the world. Yes, players make the world.

So how do they do that? Well each player is welcome to create their own realms. Inside realms are different explorable networks of rooms. A room doesn't mean 4 walls. Instead these rooms can be a forest or riverside.

Players themselves make the rooms and populate them with objects like trees, tables, desks, windows, etc. They can also add monsters to the rooms which will respawn in the same place after they get killed.

The only thing is, players can't spawn any kinds of items. That means just because you spawn a dragon which might drop great loot, if you can't fight it you're not going to get anything except a beating.

Players can also spawn merchants and other NPCs in rooms defined as being safe. In essence players can create completely functional worlds in the image they choose.

It's even going to be possible to create teleports that link different realms together.

How to play?

Go to other realms in the public list and grow stronger & more wealthy there or build your own world that suits you and do the same there. All with/without other players as you choose.

Why I think this is a great idea?

It's going to be distributed outside of BYOND with BYOND.exe meaning it's possible to get a large player base. Letting players build is fun and unique for a textual mud. No moderation is needed, community handles itself.

What does sub cost?

This will be completely free.
Actually sounds like it would be fun despite not having graphics.
These types of games are what BYOND was made for -- literally, it was originally a MUD itself, which evolved into a framework designed for MUDs, which evolved into a more generalized framework.
In response to KickingKangaroo
That's great to hear :)
Dev Log 3: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1516906

Finished another day of work. Here's the log. Making big progress. Another 150 or so more lines of code in there.

Here's how players will see realms to know which ones they want to join. Of course it's boring names right now. This was from a test to make sure it was sorting the realms correctly. Those are fake players I've added for testings sake.

Does this mean that after four years of asking there's still no dedicated BYOND games discussion forum?

The text being used there seems really nice, but as far as functionality is concerned, is it (heaven forbid) all map based using maptext, or just a usual output?
In response to Rushnut
A usual output. One on the left displays permanent output that you might need to re-read. The one on the right displays temporary output that disappears over time like "Hit [monster] for [damage] damage" which you only need to read once.

I apologize for having to do this here as well. There is a dedicated games discussion area but you need to be a member and your game needs to be playable in order to post there. So I'm kinda stuck in off topic which means I'm just using one thread for updates to keep it small and generally out of the way.
One thing you've done a bit wrong, a lot of people especially the older generation that still enjoy MUDS, won't normally download an exe to join the server. The majority of them have a MUD client which connects via the Telnet protocol.

Luckily for you, BYOND accepts the telnet protocol and you can easily integrate it with your game.
Was going to say this as well. Check out information on supporting telnet. If you can get it to work with a standard telnet client, you'll get some play.
That's a fair point, I might look into it towards the end. The reason for that is I'm not building this specifically for old MUD users or new MUD users. It doesn't play like old MUDs, the organisation is different, the commands are a little different.

The whole thing is different enough that I wouldn't advertise it to old MUDers as another MUD to play. For a similar reason I wouldn't advertise it to new MUDers as an introduction to MUDs. It's really something that sits on it's own in my opinion so I feel like a generic exe that everyone uses puts it on an equal playing field for everyone and anyone to use regardless.

I understand that supporting telnet would be appreciated so I would never rule it out and the built in support for it is awesome. I'd rather not add it to my work load right now though. Certainly at some point I might but just not right now.

I'd also just like to add, I'm building this because I feel like it's something I need to do. Having lots of players would be cool and I want that but honestly if I was out for a large player base I'd build a more modern style game. That's why this is completely free, it's a personal project I want to see through and complete.

If I can get a small player base of people who come & go and have fun with it then I'd call it a success.