ID:1516286

Redundant
Applies to:Website

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
Currently (Probably due to IE6 compatibility) the website opens links in the same tab as the current page you're on. For example, click this link:
http://www.google.com/

It'll overwrite the current tab with the page, which very few websites do now and due to habit I find myself and an associate often closing the page instead of pressing back (Or going back through a long chain of websites, again a bad thing.)

If instead it would open in new tabs it would be a great and simple step to having a more friendly website.
The forum used to do this, but I think it was ditched in favor of letting the user decide how they wanted to open the link, as most browsers use a middle-click for opening new tabs.
Oh, so it does, well the more you know.
Wow, you're like the last person around that didn't know to middle-click links, welcome to 2002, Rushnut :)
Nadrew resolved issue (Redundant)
To be fair I have a mouse with a pain in the ass middle click button and I'm used to just clicking or (Heaven forbid) ctrl clicking things.
Although now I do think about it I do remember me and my friend having a laugh about how I'd always have like 50 BYOND tabs open, I guess this was a change for the best.
There's a reason that a lot of websites open links in a new tab/window: it keeps the current tab open so that visitors will stay on your website.

I wonder how much traffic BYOND loses by people who navigate away from the page when they encounter an external link.

In my personal experience I find that if a website opens a new tab/window I'm more likely to come back because once I've finished with that other page I'm confronted with the original page that led me there.

I think that the decision to ignore this issue by marking it as "redundant" is wrong, because especially now the goal should be to keep people on the website and not to push them out with external links. Keep in mind that a lot of these external links are generated by other users, yet they're taking over the website every time you click on one of them.
I actually wasn't aware of this behavior. I agree that posted links should open in separate tabs (as they did in the old forum), and we will make that change.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I actually wasn't aware of this behavior. I agree that posted links should open in separate tabs (as they did in the old forum), and we will make that change.

I actually recall having a conversation with you about this a while back, that's why I figured at this point it was intentional =P
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Wow, you're like the last person around that didn't know to middle-click links, welcome to 2002, Rushnut :)

OMG I didn't know either haha, thanks for the news :o
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
Oh, so it does, well the more you know.

and now I'VE discovered this :o
off topic but relevant: you can use also middle clicks to close tabs in a browser, without aiming for the tiny x!
You can also middle-click the tab bar in most browsers to re-open the last closed tab.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
off topic but relevant: you can use also middle clicks to close tabs in a browser, without aiming for the tiny x!

Fuuuuuaaaah! I. Just. Keep. Learning! C'mon guys, you've just been storing up all this juicy information :o, keep em coming! :DD