ID:151843

I've put alot of thought into alot of things about the gaming era. From the classics of NES, Gameboy, Atari, and many others. From some of the great MUDs, known. I really wonder if the 2D and Text Era will ever fall?
Nah, they'll still be around. 3D Graphics don't always mean a good game. Infact, some of the best games were indeed 2D and some of the best games were indeed text as well.

As a matter of fact, I'm already planning to develop 2D games in C++ as well as some text-based games. I'll of course do 3D games as well in the future.
I doubt it, Lundex.

As Bandock already stated, some of the best games are 2D, as well as some highly acclaimed indies games. Just to name a few, Cave Story and La Mulana.

I believe these huge companies put too much emphasis on graphics while what matters to the players the most is left out, game play.
In response to Calus CoRPS
However, an important point to consider is that transition from 2D to 3D environments actually affects gameplay a great deal, and enables things that aren't otherwise possible, often more realistic and convenient things as well.
Constant improvement to the 3D graphics themselves (such as higher-resolution and more detailed textures) is mostly a different thing though, and indeed shouldn't be the primary focus.
Lundex wrote:
I really wonder if the 2D and Text Era will ever fall?

Well, eras generally don't "fall" but I believe that commercially, we are pretty much out of that niche. With handheld gaming devices becoming increasingly powerful, a lot of developers are putting their money on 3D games, and 3D games are modern, they are what's "in."

I don't know if text and 2D games will ever stop being produced, but if there was ever an era of that genre, we are certainly not in it now. (Keep in mind that we don't need to be in some sort of "era" to see remains of it.) They have been seeing decreasing popularity over the years.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Yes, true. But I mean wouldn't it be great if we spent more time in that era. It would improve todays graphics and gameplay. Cause today there ain't many good gameplay..
Although I was raised on the arcade greats of the '80s, my heart will forever belong to text adventures and, to nearly the same extent, Roguelikes. There is nothing like a good text adventure to really get your imagination salivating.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Although I was raised on the arcade greats of the '80s, my heart will forever belong to text adventures and, to nearly the same extent, Roguelikes. There is nothing like a good text adventure to really get your imagination salivating.

Lummox JR

Now you see, that statement makes me sad.

Not that you enjoyed text adventures, that is badass. Nothing can compare to when you go to play D&D with some friends and the DM whips out a whole binder dedicated just to the quest he is going to put you through. What makes me sad is that no games today encapsulate that kind of adventure.

No games today have anything beyond the stupid go kill 10 of these monsters and come back to me quests. Or kill 100 of these monsters till they drop 10 acorns and then come back to me. Or if you're lucky they will throw in a delivery quest in between the grinding.

There needs to be games (actual graphics and EVERYTHING!) that even TRY to encapsulate the intricacy and detail put into old school RPGs and D&D roleplaying. If a game could come close, like even 10% of the way, that would be amazing.
In response to Lummox JR
One word: Zork.