ID:151946

What would be the ideal strategy for making multi tiled mobs with reasonable collision detection (as in at least bounding box)? I will not use Bump() to decide if there's a collision.

I'm mainly just asking because I haven't been following 4.0 at all and I know it makes it easier to make big atoms compared with previous methods of using overlays with pixel offsets or something.
There's a BigAtoms library out to help you with all your big atom needs.
In response to Kaiochao
I don't think that takes care of my collision needs.
In response to Abhishake
Then don't think. ;) Unless you have some extraordinary 'needs' (which we don't know about), it should do.
In response to Kaioken
I can't find any place where Shadowdarke is talking about how he's handling collision and it appears to be Bump() like (except multitiled). Am I wrong? What sort is it then? Or did you not read my initial post?
In response to Abhishake
Abhishake wrote:
I can't find any place where Shadowdarke is talking about how he's handling collision

If that's so, dreadfully, you're going to have to try it out. What I remember is that his library handles collision, though like I said I don't know about your specific needs.

and it appears to be Bump() like (except multitiled). Am I wrong?

It's easy to check, so you might as well do so. What do you even mean by 'Bump() like'?

What sort is it then? Or did you not read my initial post?

Your initial post didn't really hold any useful information. Why wouldn't you use Bump()? Also, Bump() doesn't decide a collision either way, it's just called when one happens, so one can hook into it and do something in that event, if needed. As for the ideal strategy to use, that would probably involve still using the normal movement procs including Bump() for multi-tiled objects as usual by forwarding the calls and whatever else is needed.
In response to Kaioken
I have tried it out and to me it appeared Bump() like, which means the collision isn't accurate but rather tile based. But since you said it does handle it properly I decided to ask you if I missed something.

You clearly have no clue about proper collision detection so don't reply.
In response to Abhishake
Abhishake wrote:
I have tried it out and to me it appeared Bump() like,

But again, Bump() has nothing to do with determining actual collision! :(

which means the collision isn't accurate but rather tile based.

That isn't really inaccurate. It's just tile based (surprise).

But since you said it does handle it properly I decided to ask you if I missed something.

I do know it does it properly, you've even suggested that yourself. =)

You clearly have no clue about proper collision detection so don't reply.

That would be the case with you. ;) You've also no idea how to properly ask questions. You incorrectly use vague made-up terms like "Bump()-like", and inaccurate definitions of what is proper, and do not supply enough useful information. For example, apparently you want by-pixel-based collision, which you never (even now) mentioned and when I said BigAtom does collision properly (and since we did not specifically discuss a type, obviously tile-based collision was meant as that is the most common and the "default" in BYOND) you decided you should get all defensive and condescending instead of actually telling the readers what you want and why you made this help topic. =)
*: Yes, bound box collision can quite be tile-based collision. But you didn't specifically specify what you're after either way.
In response to Abhishake
Fun Fact: Insulting/demeaning those who are trying to and are full-well able to help you does not gain you help.