These are great. I look forward to seeing more of what you make. :)
In response to Makeii
The boulder's layer supersedes the tree.
Oh snap. Must have placed it on the wrong layer.
No new updates on this? I lost my internet for a week, I was excited to see your progress. ):
Oh, sorry to hear. I didn't stop working on it. ATHK wanted me to complete Simplicity, so I decided to shift my attention to that instead for the time being:

Since this thread is about more than one project, I changed the title of the thread to suit it.

Simplicity (The updated version of SimpleChat) is currently being worked on right now. I have a github repo for it but I find that using Dropbox is easier personally. I sometimes swap between computers and I sometimes forget to make commits to the repo. Dropbox syncs for me automatically, so I just use that instead for the time being. I'll make commits to the repo whenever I feel it's necessary.

http://www.github.com/ZYNKCO/Simplicity
I'm sort of tossing around ideas for the previous project in this thread codenamed "ProjectCobalt". I don't really know where to go with it gameplay wise. I made a design document here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/ 1S5BBk3BFZdv3U1O9dUHkozMZVqe7eqt5zeESP8U5aP8/ edit?usp=sharing

The site will update in realtime since it's a google doc.
EDIT: You can make comments on the doc now. I enabled that.
Project Cobalt looks cool. How far did you ever get with it?
About as far as many other projects, which isn't very. However I'm still working on it and plan to finish it. The original idea was to make something simple to release on BYOND and see how far it sails. I still want to keep that mentality about it and not make the game's system so convoluted.

That in mind, developing the game has been far easier than others I have ambitiously tried to tackle. I swap paradigms in my programming pretty often to get a feel for what is best for a project. Sometimes object-oriented is the answer, and other times it's not.

I really like that Project Cobalt is supposed to keep the simplicity of design, and as such, the code in the backend is going to be about the same way. At the same time, I don't usually employ a lot of default BYOND traditions if that makes any sense. For example, each mapscreen is instance-able and can be placed on any Z level. This is also pretty great for things like wanting to use the same mapscreen for a map in several locations. This way I don't have to draw each and every screen, and just use an index in the global mapscreen list to instance from.

No progress today.
Honestly? I think you should stop developing the game. I don't think it will succeed. If you haven't noticed, all new games have been flushed out by things like SL2, NEStalgia, and SS13. At most, you'll only get 7 players on a good day, 3 of which are AFK. Unless it's something extremely innovating, you'll LOSE money from things like hosting.
The issue is not how successful it will be. I haven't spent a dime on any of my projects. I don't need to. I can do anything I need to complete a project. It's a challenge to actually finish something though, and I want to challenge myself to complete whatever project I start, regardless of its future success. I've had so many projects just set onto the backburner because of my ADD-like nature with programming things.

Recently I've learned to be more focused. It's tough, but there is a way for me to get into the zone and actually get work done. And it feels great. Right now I am on my bed with DM open, and nothing else but silence. It's 2:40am, and I'm in that comfy zone where I can work on some stuff for a little while and then either pass out or get really excited somewhere during development and stay up the whole night.
In response to GamerMania
GamerMania wrote:
Honestly? I think you should stop developing the game. I don't think it will succeed. If you haven't noticed, all new games have been flushed out by things like SL2, NEStalgia, and SS13. At most, you'll only get 7 players on a good day, 3 of which are AFK. Unless it's something extremely innovating, you'll LOSE money from things like hosting.

With a mindset like this you will never complete anything. You can't just expect people to join your game. Thats why you must advertise and promote. Theres a small chance that people will just flock to your game on release without any advertisement or promotion.
Reporting in.

Did some work on Simplicity. There's this really annoying bug where if you join the Global Channel and then try to create a personal room, your UI locks up. But if you make a personal room and then join the Global Room, everything works fine.

Otherwise the client is looking pretty nice. I've yet to implement operable commands, but it's set up to handle this for now.
What is simplicity about it? I don't think you've mentioned what it does yet.
Simplicity is basically a remake of SimpleChat, and is a chat client which will support multiple rooms. SimpleChat had just one room, and everyone converged on it. With Simplicity, anyone can make their own room. that being said, people can hang out with whoever they'd like, and only one server would need to be hosted. Users can join multiple rooms as well.

Alongside this, Simplicity is going to include a BASIC-like interpreter called SimpleGame. Users will be encouraged to write little programs and share them with others. There will be some limitations to keep things from going awry, such as how much data can be allocated per user, and only pre-made graphics will be used. Furthermore, it will function a lot like a terminal, so you'll be mostly working with characters instead of graphics. This might change if I decide to implement a sprite layer on the terminal, but it's too early to tell. SimpleGame hasn't been really implemented yet.

I'm mostly working on Simplicity via request by A.T.H.K and I'm actually enjoying working on it right now. I don't want to swap projects frequently, so I'm going to be working on this until a stable release comes out. At that time, I'll most likely take bug reports, but start working on ProjectCobalt again.
BASIC-like interpreter

Holy feature creep, batman.

Seriously, though, if you need help writing your scripting alnguage, send me a message. I can at least give you some pointers, having written two or three myself in DM in the last year.
I think there's feature creep and then there's Simplicity. It's in its own class. Don't get me wrong it's a cool idea but please look at this realistically Makeii. Please for gods sake take a step back and think about what you're doing.
I'm in agreement that if you aren't a particularly talented developer, writing your own scripting language is a quick way to bog yourself down for months.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I'm in agreement that if you aren't a particularly talented developer, writing your own scripting language is a quick way to bog yourself down for months.

Darn! And to think I was just about to try this!
Page: 1 2 3