ID:1525551

Is never being able to remember where the "Shut Down" button is. I simply adore an operating system that makes it a hassle to turn the computer off, I wish EVERY operating system did that. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Macintosh. Get with the program. Hide your shut down button so people have to spend 10 minutes looking for it. Better yet, don't stop there. Hide the entire desktop behind some ridiculously stupid looking UI no one is familiar with even on devices where touch screen isn't available, that will definitely boost customer satisfaction.

I got that HP Pavilion 15. It's a pretty sweet laptop, and I snagged it for half the retail price at like $219. Runs League of Legends at 30 fps as long as I don't have everything set to ultra maximum anisotropic catastrophic anabolic HD extremerino ( pls no copy pasterino ) . Has a built in camera that outputs decent enough for streaming, however after running FFSplit, I dropped down to 20 FPS ( plus I was playing Anivia... Anivia + 20 FPS = 0-7 score guaranteed ) so streaming games like that probably isn't an option. It may be able to handle Hearthstone but IDK.

After you fight your way to the desktop in Windows 8, everything seems pretty normal. Curious to see what Windows 9 is going to look like. I just hope it has a shut down button somewhere where people can, you know... see it. I mainly got it to test my HTML5 games, was curious to see how they opened in laptopish screens. Yes, laptopish.
Yeah I too still have not found the long lost button of power...My pc has been running for a few months straight now. But I found some really useful clues and I might be closing in on the.....
Update to Windows 8.1, hold your mouse button over the left-bottom corner, then some sort of start button appears. Then right click there, and you get a useful menu full of shortcuts, which include shutdown, restart, ... I think Windows 8 has the same menu, but without the shutdown, restart options. The other thing you could do is just swipe your mouse to the top-right/bottom-right corner of the screen, then you'll get a menu aswell, hover over it so it loses the transparency and then click Settings. Under that click Power, and bam. Honestly, Windows 8 isn't that hard to work with once you get used to it.

Also, use Open Broadcaster Software to stream. It is, imo, better then FFSplit. Also if you send me a screenshot with your in-game settings of LoL, the video settings, I might be able to help you out increasing your FPS more.
In response to Sphinxe1
Sphinxe1 wrote:
Yeah I too still have not found the long lost button of power...My pc has been running for a few months straight now. But I found some really useful clues and I might be closing in on the.....

Loool. My Mom walked in my room and was like "why do you keep the laptop in sleep mode all the time instead of turning it off?"

"SHOW ME A SHUT DOWN BUTTON AND I'LL GLADLY TURN IT OFF"
In response to Raimo
I'm not really interested in streaming, I just wanted to see if it worked. If I do stream, it'll be game development or a casual game like Hearthstone, and it'll be on my PC which is just all-around better for gaming anyway. No one wants to watch Bronze anyway. I threw my provisionals at the start of the season and now I'm screwed, lol. Someone carry me.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Oh, I see, haha sorry for that then. And indeed, desktops are way better for streaming anyway. But lol, I hope you found the shut down button now.
Google is your best friend.
LoL indeed
You should give Classic Shell a try. It adds a fairly customizable start menu that works much like previous versions of Windows. With a little configuration, I have it set up to act like Windows 7 and I haven't used Metro in the months since.
Yeah seriously, if you aren't using a third party start button replacement then you're doing it wrong. Stardock's Start8 was the best 5 dollars I've ever spent.

I rarely even remember that I'm using a Windows 8 computer at all, everything is pretty much identical to my Windows 7 PC.
You also got IObit Start Menu 8, which isn't pretty bad either, I used it before, but then eventually just got used to Windows 8.
Lol if you want it to look like windows 7 just get windows 7 thats why its windows 7. But if you want the new interface go for windows 8. Im pretty sure its positive to imrpove a windows 7 pc to process as windows 8
In response to Ganite
You make it sound like people have a choice in the matter. But unless you're building your own computer, 90% of the time you really don't.

I'm not going to go spend 100-ish dollars for an old OS. It's a lot of money to spend on top of a new computer, and it won't be supported as long as Windows 8 will. So making it work in a way that suits your needs is a much simpler option. If it can be done, why not do it?

Also saying Windows 8 is an improvement is kind of funny to me. It's pretty much assumed at this point that Sinofsky was fired and Ballmer "retired" because of Windows 8's colossal failure.

Not making separate OS's was one of the most ridiculous business decision of the last few years. They knew that this Frankenstein's monster of an OS wouldn't work well for Desktop users, but they decided to make us "deal with it" and "learn to adapt" in an effort to familiarize ourselves with how it works and go out and buy their phones and tablets.
Real men use Linux.
In response to Balzack
Balzack wrote:
Yeah seriously, if you aren't using a third party start button replacement then you're doing it wrong. Stardock's Start8 was the best 5 dollars I've ever spent.

I rarely even remember that I'm using a Windows 8 computer at all, everything is pretty much identical to my Windows 7 PC.

There's also ClassicShell, which is free.
Personally, I've gotten used to the new Start Menu, and while it is different, I feel I've reached about the same level of functionality with it.
Windows 8 might as well have not even existed, and the world would probably be better off without it. The funny thing is that "Windows 8" could have just been Windows 7 with some kind of "Modern UI" addon. In fact, I would say that such a configuration would be vastly superior to Windows 8. Windows 8 weakened the original desktop side of the OS, so that it could be simulated as a Modern UI "app". As if they haven't angered desktop users enough already, the Windows developers must have been too busy working on Modern UI to implement Aero theme support, which existed since Vista, or maybe they are just admitting that the simulated desktop interface is now less powerful than the real ones that came before it. It's almost as if Windows 8 is set up like some kind of tablet OS with a built-in virtual machine for a desktop. I wouldn't be surprised if this results in desktop programs running slower on Windows 8 than they did on past operating systems, due to the increased system resource usage.

Instead of the desktop interface being an app in the Modern UI, Windows 8 would have had a better design if the Modern UI was a program in the desktop interface. Just switch the system's architectures and already you have an OS that's better than Windows 8.

I think the ideal solution would have been to just combine the desktop and the Modern UI to create a single unified interface. If you really think about it, there's not much that separates the desktop from the Modern UI. For a time, the Modern UI was almost partially implemented into the desktop with the addition of Windows Sidebar gadgets, but Microsoft claims that those were just not secure enough. Now what kind of developer decides to just scrap an entire platform just because of security flaws? Instead of working on Modern UI, Microsoft could have secured and perfected the Windows Sidebar. It could have made the desktop far superior to Modern UI, but apparently that dream has been lost.

All you really have to do is expand the desktop with horizontal scrolling, upgrade the existing desktop icons into resizable live tiles, integrated with the gadget platform, and provide a nice C++ library for creating modern, fullscreen, desktop programs! In one sentence, I have described an interface that would be superior in every way to what Windows 8 has. I hope Microsoft figures it out before they decide to roll out the evolved form of their chimera, Windows 9. I'm guessing it will at least be better than 8, but still not ideal.

The only reason Windows 8 turned out like it did is because Microsoft wanted to force their store onto the desktop in any way possible, and since they are such a monopoly, they know that they can get away with it without suffering too much of a loss. It hurts the customers more than it does Microsoft.

The only benefit of Windows 8 is that it really makes you appreciate all of the other Windows operating systems that came before it. I used to dislike Windows Vista when it came out, but now it seems close to perfection compared to Windows 8. Either way, I think Windows 7 will be known as one of the greatest operating systems Microsoft has ever designed for years to come, much like Windows XP.

If only Linux systems could natively run Windows programs, I would switch over without thinking twice. Well, believe it or not, there is an open source OS in the alpha stage that has been slowly working towards binary compatibility with Windows. It's called ReactOS. ReactOS actually has nothing to do with Linux. It is the result of a somewhat controversial, reverse engineering project that has been going on for years. It has reached the point where it natively runs a few programs that were originally built for Windows. If the project ever really gets off the ground, then this will only be the beginning, of Microsoft's worst nightmare! I hope the project is successful. If DirectX is ever fully reverse engineered as planned for ReactX, then I will be impressed. If it ever happens, then there is even a chance it could run BYOND, but I won't get my hopes up. Wouldn't it be awesome though, to have an open source OS with the ability to natively run any program in the vast collection of software for Windows that has accumulated over the years?
I like Windows 8. I think it looks attractive, I have never had an issue with it. I don't recommend it to people, because I don't recommend anything to anyone.

That being said, I also have a Nokia Lumia 1520 because I like Windows Phone 8, and I think the Lumia series is very attractive.

I like things that look nice. That's as far as my thought process goes into technology now.
BYOND is just full of people that can't get use to new things. Need to "learn to adapt" as I seen someone try to talk about that phrase.
I can get used to new things.

It's getting used to stupid things that I have trouble with.
Maybe the new UI will help them create better things in the near future?
Page: 1 2