ID:1529330

BYOND Version:504
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 33.0.1750.154
Applies to:BYOND Pager

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary: I posted a while back about my pager being pure white. I closed the thread, as the computer died and I had switched to a different computer. The old one is now back alive and kicking, and it has gotten marginally better. Enclosed is a screenshot.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Start up BYOND
2. Start a game, as it only says "Loading game information" until you do so.
3. Start up BYOND again: pager will show up this time.
4. Pager will look as in screenshot, and no buttons will work, save the blue colored options wheel and resize button.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
N/A

Expected Results: A fully functional BYOND pager (stable patch.)

Actual Results: What you see in the screenshot.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Every game.
In other user accounts? Every account.
On other computers? Not that I am aware of.

When does the problem NOT occur? It's been occurring lately instead of the white screen.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? The last version that was fully working on my computer was version 498.
Workarounds: None so far, except to use version 498, which blocks my ability to page other users.

EDIT: Not entirely sure how to add attachments. Suggestions?

You don't add attachments; you have to upload your photo somewhere.

Obviously getting this working is a big deal. I do suggest you switch to the latest beta because there were some changes to the config in that that might have an impact.

I'd also like to know what antivirus software is running on that computer, and what version of IE.
-http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r771/comerades1/ Pagerproblem_zps0ed76061.png

-Internet Explorer version is 11(I have it set to auto-update).

-The antivirus software was Webroot, but it has been windows security essentials for a few years now(since about 2011).

EDIT: Tried latest build. Did not fix problem. Reverting to stable build 504.
Something appears badly broken in your setup because the buttons should never be over on the left unless you're in compact mode. This suggests the JavaScript isn't working at all, which really shouldn't happen.

I'd like you to open up IE and go into your options, and see what the security settings are for your Internet zone (and also for the local zone). If active scripting has been disabled in either one, try enabling it to see what happens. The code is supposed to be trying to enable JS on its own, but maybe that's being overridden by some other setting. It would help to get the full settings list for each zone so I could see what's there.
Active Scripting is enabled in both my internet zone and local zone. I'm not entirely sure how I can deliver the entire settings list for you.
You could just copy them down into a text file.

Meanwhile I'd like to try some other experiments. Open your user data directory. It's in the pager's Preferences, which you can get to via the menu button which you said still works; go to the Advanced tab. I'd like to know the path to that directory.

Once you open the dir, I'd like to see if you have a file in pager/custom called pagerhome.js. If you don't, that's a red flag; you'll want to check the permissions on the directories to see if files can be written there. If it's there, check the permissions to see what can access it. Once you've checked on all that, rename the pager folder to something like pager_old and see what happens the next time you open the pager; if it's rebuilt and everything works, that's good.

Also I should ask: Is the pager being run as an administrator? Was BYOND installed as an administrator?
C:\Users\User\Documents\BYOND\
I don't believe that it's actually ever been in program files for me. Maybe that will help.

pagerhome.js is in the file that you directed me to.

It has: "Full Control", "Modify", "Read & Execute", "Read", and "Write" for its permissions. There's only one permissions box unchecked and it says "Special Permissions" However, the boxes are all grayed out so I cannot do anything.

The pager_old did not help.

Yes, it is being run as an administrator and it was installed as an administrator.
If you're around later this afternoon I'd like to try some things to clear this up, maybe some test builds to see if I can get to the root of the problem. Clearly JavaScript is not being run, at least not at some points, and that's the main source of the problem.

If you can get setup on AIM we can chat live more easily. Just get an account and download Pidgin, and let me know what your contact info is (you can do it by private message if you prefer). Then I can add you to my buddy list and we can work through this.
Sure, I'm supposed to be fixing a scholarship essay right at this moment anyway, but I do in fact have an AIM, but not Pidgin. I will download that for later. Thank you very much for helping so far.
In response to Shadowcapii
Shadowcapii wrote:
Sure, I'm supposed to be fixing a scholarship essay right at this moment anyway, but I do in fact have an AIM, but not Pidgin. I will download that for later. Thank you very much for helping so far.

You can probably just use AIM's web client, doubt it'll make a difference vs Pidgin or actual AIM software.
Yeah, precisely. I got Pidgin anyway.
I've added you. I'll get some debug info in and we'll see if we can hammer this out.
I actually haven't gotten a notification yet. It's been years since I used any of the features of AIM, and I'm new to Pidgin.
Pidgin doesn't show you as online, for me. (Maybe you need to add me to your buddy list as well. It'd depend on your settings.)