ID:153009

I'm trying to study AbyssDragon's parser, but I can't for the life of me find the part of his .dm file where his /Parser is able to receive the text entered into the client command window.

Thanks,

=$= Big J Money =$=
Okay, I found out it's a built-in proc called client.Command(), but how come that proc isn't referenced anywhere?

=$=
In response to BigJMoney
There are plenty of things that the reference does a poor job of documenting, or even fails to document completely.

It just has not been done, simple as that. People are lazy. A further explanation I doubt you will get.
In response to BigJMoney
BigJMoney wrote:
Okay, I found out it's a built-in proc called client.Command(), but how come that proc isn't referenced anywhere?

It should be referenced, but I guess that it isn't.

Whenever a player types something into the command line, it's passed on to client.Command() as an argument before being turned into action.

client/Command(text_typed_into_command_line)
. = ..()

Defining it allows people to log in using telnet!
In response to Wizkidd0123
Wizkidd0123 wrote:
Whenever a player types something into the command line, it's passed on to client.Command() as an argument before being turned into action.

That is not completely true. The text a person types is passed to client.Command() only when it fails to find a match for the text in the client's verbs. For example, if I have a verb called Say, and I type:

say "Hello World!"

That will not be passed to client.Command becuase it fulfiled the requirements for a valid verb. If I typed:

getjiggy

without having a getjiggy verb, then that will be passed to client.Commmand().

Defining it allows people to log in using telnet!

That is true.

~X
In response to BigJMoney
client.Command is referenced only in the BYOND release notes for when it was added. :-)

It's one of those weird things that's incredibly useful but impossible to figure out unless someone tells you about it.
In response to Wizkidd0123
Please don't mention Telnet, that twisted, older step-child of Byond that belongs in the corner. Go back to the corner, now, Telnet. You can't play with Byond.

=$=