Footrace for the Holy Grail

by Yut Put
Footrace for the Holy Grail
Mayhem in the middle ages! Play as classes like the archer, warrior, mage, or rogue in a racing battle royale described as "Super Smash Bros + Mario Kart"!
ID:1531704

Chances are you're probably here because you're tired of getting your ass handed to you by those unfathomably fast rogues, anti-everything mages, and chain grabbing vampires. Well, look no further; your official guide to the metagame of FFTHG is right in front of you.

We're starting with the basics. Below, I'll list all the hard-coded techniques players use to dominate their opponents. This list includes the things the game was designed to have, and doesn't include techniques players have invented.

DASH FREEZING
-Hold two opposite directions and press Space while dashing to stop the dash and reset any attack delays on your character.
USES: Precise movement, mind games, acting out of a dash cancel.

TAPPING
-Tap the opposite direction from what you are facing directly after using a move that can't be dash canceled to enable its dash canceling.
USES: Read dash canceling. Tapping a move opens up a huge number of possibilities for it, such as resetting it with a dash freeze to make it go faster.

DASH DANCING
-While dashing, dash in the opposite direction to cancel the first dash and start a new one.
USES: Mind games, extended invincibility frames, can be used to float across stages or recover with characters like the druid. The Maiden, Rogue, Chemist, and Paradox all have special effects that happen when they dash dance.

DASH CANCEL
-Dash to cancel some abilities, which allows you to gain invincibility frames and move forward while doing the attack.
USES: This is one of the most basic techniques most players should know. Dash canceling is used to(as just some examples): extend the mage's secondary, speed up the archer's arrows, make the jester move stupidly fast, and make all of the bard's moves gain invincibility.

ZOOMDASH
-Dash canceled attacks will allow you to walk through opponents.
USES: You can use this technique to set up combos with, for example, the mage's secondary, to position yourself next to an opponent for a melee or another secondary.

DI
-Holding the key that is opposite to the direction you are being knocked back reduces the knockback by 25%
USES: Universally useful in escaping combos and not dying.

FLASHDODGE
-Pressing the space bar while in the damage state(during knockback) creates a circle "flash" icon and returns you to your neutral state(but doesn't cancel the knockback)
USES: Being in your neutral state allows you to counter the knockback by dashing or using an ability along with DI.

NEUTRAL DASH
-Holding two opposite keys allows you to remain stationary while dashing.
USES: Characters like the bard or archer can use this to add invincibility frames to their standing attacks.

DASH RESTORATION
-"Dash restoration" is the wider topic that covers techniques used to gain an additional dash while off the stage for combos or recovery. There are multiple ways to do this. Being damaged by an opponent restores your dash. Throwing an opponent while offstage restores your dash. Lastly, certain characters will regain their dash if they damage an opponent while they are offstage.
USES: You can sneak in an extra throw in a grab combo by understanding how far away your character can be from the stage during the combo. You can also use attacks like the Druid's melee or secondary to pester ledge guarders and passersby while regaining your dash.
I think I found a new AT

If you have a character with an attack which can be tapped, use it during a dash, then dash in the other direction to dash dance away from the opponent, works with any attack that can be tapped.

From here you can go a step further, and it's possible to start dash-dancing, either out of the tapped attack or just from a raw dash then continue the dash dance. If you time it right, you can use any tapable attack during the dash-dance without interruption.

A few things to take note of is that some characters are better at this than others, characters with long-lasting dashes have an easier time performing this tech. Both the dragon and the druid can use this while using dash dancing to move around. Also, all three of each of their moves can be tapped and work with this tech.

The troll misses out here because while it's dash is actually well-suited for the tech,it has no tapable moves at all. However, at least it can easily use dash dancing to move across stages.

Anyone else can do this but to maintain it constantly during a dash dance will be incredibly difficult to perform and probably not worth it, however, they could still use the tech to cover attacks with dash-dancing to make approaching safer and for hit and run tactics.

Seriously though, the druid has so many tools under it's belt; It's starting to look like this game's highest tiered character.
so you mean camping with the dash dance and attacking in between dashes? i usually grab with druid during a dash and i can see that working with his melee too, but i play a mach speed aggro druid so campy zoning doesn't really suit my playstyle lol.

pirate still has the most tools imo though witg ten attacks that cover almost everything and rogue has blinkdashing, knives, melee freezes, backstab, speed boost, and a kickass super. druid's deep, but im not sure if hes tier one
There are quite a few ways to apply this aggressively, and that's probably how most players will use it. However, it does have defensive uses as well such as camping but using it as an approach also works quite well.

For example, if your dash grab were to miss then you would already be dashing away from the opponent, then you could simply dash dance back towards and try another grab, or not. If you're worried about accidental throws then you could always try this input when doing it Dash -> Grab -> Back -> Dash+Grab. (Hitting both dash and grab almost at the same time, so that the grab can happen as soon as possible.) So basically, an option select, it should work but I'll go ahead and test it to be completely sure, I'll get back to you on the results.

Edit: Just tried it out, it does appear to work, timing might take a bit of getting used to to make it consistent but it's not hard or anything; You got yourself an option select.