In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
It is a careful balancing act that requires planning and forethought.

If you want to get really fancy, you could even implement some kind of automatic negative feedback mechanism; if the game detects that there's too much inflation, it increases the money sinks (say, by making weapons deteriorate slightly faster). Once the economy has been "corrected", the money sinks are gradually decreased again.

That sounds very tricky to implement, though. But it would be very cool if you managed to do it. =)
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
That sounds very tricky to implement, though. But it would be very cool if you managed to do it. =)

Oooh! Library idea! Hehe
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
Crispy wrote:

Oooh! Library idea! Hehe

Good luck! Government has been trying to do that since... the beginning of government. ;p
In response to Shadowdarke
Heh, not to get off topic, but I don't think governments ever try to *not* spend money.

But the library idea is interesting. I would assume, at it's core, it measures a list of resources and their rarirty and sets some sort of controlling factor based on the shifts in rarity until the ratios line back up?
In response to Jmurph
Naw, it measures the wealth of the players, and sends mobs of pirates and oger riots out to hunt down and pilaige the wealthy.

~X
In response to Xooxer
I've always toyed with the idea of having new players only be able to get a certain type of item that better, older players couldn't find, meaning that they have a lever in the game until they can find normally more valuable stuff.

It'd have to be one character per key, however, or people could abuse the system.
Kholintian Destroying Army wrote:
I've always toyed with the idea of having new players only be able to get a certain type of item that better, older players couldn't find, meaning that they have a lever in the game until they can find normally more valuable stuff.

It'd have to be one character per key, however, or people could abuse the system.

Still abused.
Jimmy has two PCs.
Jimmy uses his keys, Jimbo and Jim.
Jimbo gets all the stuff, and gives it to Jim.
Jimbo remakes.
Jimbo gets more.
Jimbo gives all to Jim.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
In response to Hell Ramen
You'd need to have some sort of system to stop characters getting more than one. Anyway, why not make it so you can only have one, and have it *plink* out of existance when you get to a certain level.
In response to Hazman
Hazman wrote:
You'd need to have some sort of system to stop characters getting more than one. Anyway, why not make it so you can only have one, and have it *plink* out of existance when you get to a certain level.

:o Then...
Jim sells it.
Jimbo deletes his account.
Makes a new one.
Jimbo gives another to Jim.
In response to Hell Ramen
FFXI Has a decent system to limit the abuse of rare items.

An item can have up to two obvious flags: Rare, and Exclusive.

You cannot have more than one copy of a Rare item in your inventory or "mog safe", aka item storage, or up for sale on the Auction House. Exclusive items are non-tradable, non-sellable, but feel free to have as many as you like. A lot of items that FFXI wants players to go out and get on their own are Rare/Exclusive, meaning you and only you can have it. This applies to a lot of the better loot dropped by high level monsters.

So, to keep a slight tab on the remake and resell aspect, you'd make the newbie items Rare. You could even link the rarity to the key and not the character if you really wanted to be an arse :P

It's still abusable. However, it's much more annoying to try to do so, discouraging a good portion of would-be abusers.
In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
But the library idea is interesting. I would assume, at it's core, it measures a list of resources and their rarirty and sets some sort of controlling factor based on the shifts in rarity until the ratios line back up?

Thats my initial thought, yes. I'll see what I can come up with, and perhaps run it by you for some rigorous "is this something?" sessions.
In response to Alathon
Sounds like a winner! Let me know if I can help.
In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
Sounds like a winner! Let me know if I can help.

Sure, but I don't really have a way to get in touch with you :)
In response to Alathon
[email protected]

Make the title very specific so I don't junk it :-)
In response to Jmurph
In theory, if you wanted to be really innovative you could take a more player-run approach...

Along with the PRE economy with the slight NPC backbone you could have a player-run government for the city...
There should be enough wyas to have the government almsot entirely player run yet somehow have actual power.
(a practical security force comes to mind... some way you can actually COMPEL people to do something... perma-death anyone?)
In response to sapphiremagus
Wouldnt you be better off making the newbie items exclusive in that instance? So they can't pass it off to an alter ego. Rarity wouldn't matter, seeing as you get one when you start.
Page: 1 2