ID:1532538

Resolved
When editing an instance in the map editor to change an object's contents, the editor could sometimes crash.
BYOND Version:504
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
Web Browser:Chrome 33.0.1750.146
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I edited the contents of an object in my map. The first couple times the Dream Maker crashed, but the contents stayed in there, meaning I was able to save before the crash, a work around. Now, about a day or two later, I can't edit the object at all without Dream Maker crashing, and when I select the object in the object tree, the Dream Maker also crashes. This has made it impossible to make the map for my game.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Edit the contents of an item using Dream Maker.
2. Enjoy flavorful crashes.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
The map edits without crashing.

Actual Results:
The map crashes every time.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time
In other games?
Don't know
In other user accounts?
N/A
On other computers?
N/A

When does the problem NOT occur?
When not editing contents of items.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? N/A(Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds: Edit the contents and save really quick, but doesn't work anymore as the program crashes immediately.

When I delete all of the crash-inducing objects from the world, the program stops crashing.
But when I add them back it happens some more.
Would you be able to post your .dmm, and tell us what objects are "crash inducing"?
Right now another workaround I have is to right a script that places all objects in the crate's location into the crate on world start, which works for now. But still I think this is a bug.
It's a crate, in a game I am making.
Line 40 of that .dmm is one of the crates involved
A copy of the project with this map would be helpful. I'd like to try to reproduce the crash myself in the debugger. You can zip up the project files and send them to me at [email protected], or if it's too big a file you can just upload it somewhere and send me the link in a private message.
He linked his environment/github repo above, Lummox.

You can download it as a zip here.

I was able to reproduce this myself, it occurs when you edit the contents list of an object in the instance editor to any valid value but the default {}. Attempting to save the object just crashes Dream Maker.

Here's the report from the event viewer:
Faulting application name: dreammaker.exe, version: 5.0.506.1238, time stamp: 0x531fc9d2
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002e3be
Faulting process id: 0x1708
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf4c400cd16716
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreammaker.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 66a488c5-b833-11e3-8728-001fc66f7a51
I was unable to get this to happen when editing an instance on the map, but when creating a new instance I did see the problem. I'm looking into it.

The project has apparently changed since I first saw the .dmm, and the .zip I downloaded does not contain the lines that caused the problem. For future reference, it is imperative when providing a test case for a bug report that the zip not be modified after the fact. A github download is really not the best option for this reason, as the code is apparently still being changed.
Yeah, I've been editing the map and implementing the workarounds, cause it does also happen to all objects when their contents are edited.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
When editing an instance in the map editor to change an object's contents, the editor could sometimes crash.
....Is there a chance of this ever being fixed?
It will be fixed in the next beta release due out later today (probably).
In response to Vivalas
Vivalas wrote:
....Is there a chance of this ever being fixed?

It's been barely more than 2 days since you reported the issue. Chill, bro.
I was just asking.